1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky cancelled sub and poor ch 5?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by dnalor, Jan 21, 2005.

1. dnalor

dnalor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a sky box and dish with my subscription to sky cancelled. I seem to get free channels and the reception/picture quality is very good EXCEPT for channel 5. Why is this? If i phone up sky they just say check leads and reboot the skybox which I could understand if the other digital channels gave a poor picture? Can anyone help?

2. Bluevanman

Bluevanman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What exactly is the problem with the picture? Are you getting Blocking and freezing? If so it could be that either your box or LNB is having a problem with transponder 31.

3. dnalor

dnalor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its not blocking or freezing. It just looks as if its bad reception via a normal TV aerial although it isn't. Or perhaps like a weak signal via a normal aerial but the channel is DEFINATELY being received via the Sky box as I am in an area where you cant get Freeview and cant get Channel 5 via an aerial.

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Do you actually have an aerial plugged into the system at any point?
    Perhaps daisy chained through the digibox-video and then the TV and if so have also got a scart connection?

The only thing I can think of that would give you the sort of picture you describe is a poor quality RF source, Five via Dsat connected via a scart from a digibox to the TV should be as good as anyother channel allowing for broadcast quality.

5. dnalor

dnalor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Digibox to the video is an RF lead and another RF lead on to the TV. I have now put a scart lead between the digibox and video leaving the RF lead between the video and TV (as there is no SCART socket on the TV). Picture seems to have improved but Ch 5 still not as good as other satelite channels.

6. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    I would say buy a more modern TV but I suppose there are good reasons why you have what you have so I'll shut up:)

If there was a local source of RF interference then all the channels from the digibox would be affected I would have thought.
    Probably won't change matters but how about altering the RF frequency used by the digibox and/or the VCR RF output to make sure they are not clashing with eachother or any local analogue broadcasts.
    Check the cable run as well, it's always possible it's poorly screened and picking up specific interference from power cords.

7. dnalor

dnalor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I am planning on a new TV but as we cant get freeview then I am wondering whether to get a digital set or not.