SKY+: Can you overlap recordings

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Jon Weaver, Feb 11, 2002.

1. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +717
    Say I have programmed something to record ending at 7:35, and want to add something which starts at 7:30 the Planner won't let you.

It either wants to delete the program which was already there, or not setup the new program.

What I want to do is record both programs, but miss the beginning/end of one of them.

Some people in another forums say that it is possible to overlap programs, so that the Sky+ box will record both.. It will just miss the bit that overlaps on one of the programs.. But I can't see how its possible to do this!

Has anyone found a way to make it happen.

I really hope that it is, as, considering there is no VCR like timer, its going to be annoying having to miss a WHOLE program, when there is a few minutes overlap!

2. Xeonic

Xeonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One way I can think of, if you are not out at the time, is to record the first in the planner, stop recording at the end manually, then start recording the new one, manually. The planner says something like "cancelled", but it is still there.

As for both in the planner, no, not yet 'cause it insists on recording the adverts before & after, so you lose 5 minutes anyway. Starburst might help you out here as well :D

3. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    I believe I am one of the "Some People on other forums" that have said it is possible:)

It is possible but it seems you can only add an overlapping program to the Planner if the first program is already being recorded.

4. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +717
    Thanks for the info..

The fact that you CAN do this whilst the box is already recording makes me question why you can't do it when its not.

Its hardly any more complicated and its clear that the software can handle it.

I hope that Sky see this as a problem and allow it in the future.

I know that they are planning a VCR style timer, which is going to be useful in its own right.. But it won't solve the problem.

I want to be able to add overlapping programs!

5. Xeonic

Xeonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Told you SB would have an answer ;) Although this means you have to be around while the other program is recording, a bit like the manual method. Hopefully this will be an upgrade soon.

On a slightly different thread, does anyone know if "live pause" has a limit. E.g. if your disc is 99% full, and you live pause eastenders(!) from the start, what happens - does it stop or overwrite stuff already saved? I haven't tried this yet, in case it is option 2!!