1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky cabling help

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by sarll, Apr 21, 2004.

1. sarll

sarll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Hi

I've been thinking about running an extra cable from my sky digital dish to my bedroom to improve the picture I am currently receiving to my lcd screen (using a digisender at the moment - not bad but could be better).

Before I think about doing it I would appreciate it if anyone could comment on what I am hoping to acheive and if it would work etc.

I'd rather find out its a stupid idea now b4 I get cables run round my house!

I would like to be able to get SKY displaying in RGB so I am guessing the sky digital cable (coax?) should be plugged into my video, then scart from video to lcd screen...? Or can i plug the coax cable straight into the lcd? I would put some sort of magic eye thing in for the remote.

Cheers

Marcus

2. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,688
    Running a cable from your dish to your bedroom isn't going to do anything unless you conect it to a digibox :lesson: I would have thought the only way to grt RGB into your LCD is scart direct from a digi box

3. sarll

sarll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    so its official then.....i am stupid. Cheers for that anyway.

How about if the sky cable was split?

Quite annoying really, my existing link, using digisender, is pretty good for sky but not a patch on my plasma downstairs. At the moment i can change channels etc in bedroom at no extra cost, but to get the second digi box will cost about £150 and then £15 extra a month which is a bit of a con I think.

What to do eh??

4. balders

balders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    You could try to get a second hand or refurbished box, and a freeview card.

However, I don't think it would be as simple as splitting the sky cable and plugging it into two boxes. You'd probably also need a dual LNB on the dish itself in order to receive two seperate signals.

I'm not an Sky expert though, so I'm ready to be corrected!

Balders.

5. sarll

sarll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Cheers for your thoughts Balders..

Would a freeview card work in a refurb/2nd hand sky box?

I'm not bothered about receiving 2 separate sky signals, i'm happy to watch whatever is on my existing box downstairs in my bedroom.

In my local pub for example, they have one sky box onto 6 tv's, and each tv show the same programme.

6. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,688
    probably all RF feeds in your local ( feed from rf out into 6 way splitter then onto each tv in turn), without an extra box this is probably your best option , unless you can split the scart signal and run that to your LCD but probably wouldn't be worth it due too signal degredation over the run to the bedroom , how far is the LCD from the digibox ?

7. sarll

sarll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    i guess a run of about 15m...maybe slightly less

8. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,688
    try doing a quick search , long scart cables came up with this . dont know the ins and outs but it could be an option . all comes down to how desperate you are for an rgb feed, and cost I guess

9. sarll

sarll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    thanks alot John, i'll look into it

10. indiejones

indiejones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Why dont you put your equipment around the other way ie: Sat in bedroom & have coax to TV with magic pad

11. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,592
    sarll

Lots of ways to split the RGB out from your Digibox to two separate systems - it'll cost a few quid though.

One easy solution would be to add a JS Technology RGB2S-Video converter to the rear of your Digibox (I'm assuming its not a SKY+ box).

The RGB2S-Video converter has two outputs - 01. RGB pass through which can go to your Plasma as normal and 02. S-Video (on SCART).

A 15m fully wired SCART cable up to your LCD should do the trick and S-Video will look better than the wireless sender.

If you want to retain RGB to both displays that can also be achieved but will cost a bit more.

Best regards

Joe