1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SKY+ cables separate for RBG and audio?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Andrew46, Jan 29, 2005.

1. Andrew46

Andrew46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have Sky+ and am about to buy a Pioneer PDP505XDE 50inch plasma screen. I will also buy a separate home video system (pioneer DCS-525). I understand that RGB-only Scart gives best video and so thought to use that from the SKY+ box to the Plasma set-top unit instead of fully-wired scart. I see the SKY+ box also has phono out for audio. So should I use that for the audio to the home cinema box? I hear phono is not that great, but then I am not looking to have the best ever audio system. So is it okay to separate as I suggest or simply go for fully wired Scart?

I've done some homework on this stuff (not that technically minded) and fear a little knowledge is now confusing me. Hope someone can help.

2. Gavlaw1

Gavlaw1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The RGB output to your plasma will give the best picture. For audio, the Sky+ box has an optical digital out that will hook into most cinema amps - this will give you SKy+ in 5.1 surround, which Sky often broadcasts.

3. Roohster

Roohster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +915
    Sky+ has a digital optical output (TOSlink) which will give you Dolby Digital on several of their movie channels.
    Use this for the audio connection to your DCS-525 and either an RGB only or fully wired screened scart to the tuner box.

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    A RGB to VGA convertor (from JS Technologies) has been spoken well of when connecting SKY to a Plasma panel with VGA input. Worth asking for opnions in the Plasma forum, there will be quite a few people with real life experience of the panel and that type of connection.