Sky Cable - Shotgun style

x3j3UKN

Is there a type of Satellite cable available that will more easily travel round corners etc?

I have been making use of a spare Mini box to have Sky Q on the other side of the room as to where the cable comes in, however i think its time I put a permanent solution in!

So I was thinking of terminating the existing cable onto a face plate at the point of entry into the living room, then, run additonal cable along the skirting board, but it will need to go around the fireplace (I think it will look ok, but the wife may say otherwise!) however, in the past i have found the cables to be quite thick so going round 90 degree bends doesnt work so well. Can you get a thinner, more malleable, cable that still works just fine with Sky Q? Distance will be around 5M I guess.

Tight right angle bends in satellite cable are difficult for a very good reason - it will alter the capacitance of the cable (particularly on air cored cable which is easier to bend than the solid core). and cause severe loss of signal. Bends should have a radius of at least 3 inches (if not more) to avoid these losses. So you are not going to get a very neat and tidy install around your fireplace

x3j3UKN

Ah.... that’s a shame then!

I think the only other way is going all the way round the back of the house. Dish on front, run cable round the side of the house, in through the dining room and into the living room... nightmare

To be honest, that is not my experience. Due to the location of TV, the Sky installer had to run (at a guess) a 12M+ length of shotgun cable using a convoluted route which required six 90 degree bends.

Signal strength is 60-70%, works fine in all but the heaviest rainfall.

TJT1

Wot he ^ said. Theory says not ideal, but with plenty of signal, it likely won't make much difference in practice. The purists will now throw their hands in the air and shoot me down.
My suggestion would be 'just try it' and see if it works (it will).

TJT1

I would. Cheap solution providing it works.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom