Sky+ Cable ok to burry cable

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Angel1403, Nov 23, 2004.

1. Angel1403

Angel1403
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have recently had Sky+ installed. Due to the location of the box the installer felt it would not look good having both cables tacked to the side of the house.

He arranged it at the side of the house and suggested I burry the cable under the soil and stone chips.

Is it ok to do that, or should I put the cables into a pipe first or wrap them in duck tape.

Cheers,
    Allan.

2. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Burying the cables is fine. :thumbsup:
    Mine goes under the floorboards.

3. Angel1403

Angel1403
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the feedback :)

4. Blu Ray

Blu Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I'd have thought some cheap trunking or plastic pipe might be a good idea, won't cost much.

5. brendank

brendank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    qualplex will do the trick nicely for trunking you get the length you want and bend it easily.

:thumbsup: i just done it myself

6. Angel1403

Angel1403
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the additional info :)

7. neilneil

neilneil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Burried trunking is deffinately the way to go. If you were to lay a bare cable against a sharp stone then over time it may break into the cable and destroy the signal.

The deeper you bury it the better I think 18 inches 450mm is the depth electricity cables should be burried to avoid frost damage. Of course being next to a house then it wouldn't need to be anywhere near that depth. If you want to go all out for the full on solution buy some yellow marker tape to lay 150mm above the cable or perhaps cover the cable with a line of old broken up tiles to stop somone accidentally putting a spade or fork through it at a later date.

-Neil

8. Cynthia 7

Cynthia 7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As the Sky contractors couldn't get a signal from the chimney due to very high trees, we have a dish on a high pole in the garden. The cable from this they buried about 6 inches deep in the soil and routed under the soil at the side of a large rhododendron bush and then under the lawn. It then has to cross a concrete path (on the surface) and onto the side of our verandah and into the window Altogether this is a total of 26 yards, quite a distance. In fact there are two cables, Sky+ downstairs and Sky upstairs. The Sky+ has been there a year or so, the Sky cable has been in the soil for about five years. The grass over this has been mown initially with a large Flymo and for the last year with a garden tractor! We haven't had any problems.

In retrospect we should have dug this up and put some protective trunking around it. Thanks for the information about this everyone. It must be tough cable to still be working o.k. I did think the garden tractor might have finished it off!