1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky+ Cable Extension Question

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Symey, Jan 29, 2005.

1. Symey

Symey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :hiya: Hi guys

I have sky+ currently sitting in the corner of my room but will be soon moving my equipment approx 4 metres further away - the two coax cables for the two tuners are not long enough and will need to be about that 4 metres longer - i have some questions concerening this:

Q: can i buy some kind of 'extender' coax cable? ie screw the original into a female and then plug into the box? the dish is at the back of the houes and the cables and going over the roof and down the fron of the house before going through the living room wall so its not easy to just replace he cable..

Q: I have a similar issue with m RF aerial lead - any issues with just plugging this into an 'extender' cable? im pretty sure these exist - any recommendtations?

Hope i can get some answers on these

Many thanks in adavance

Enjoy your weekend

Sy

2. Will18

Will18
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I was looking for something like this to extend my sjy box, argos have something that only costs a fiver which I plan to pick up when I can.

Click here

3. Symey

Symey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers will - looks fine - didnt think to try argos!

thanks again

sy

4. olliemac

olliemac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i presume you mean the lnb cables. it is only a matter of getting 2 f plug couplers and joining the cable there. mind you, i dont suppose you have a crimp tool for this and it would cost too much for what you are doing. as for the aerial lead, just pick up a long female to male lead and a coupler to extend it. that is more than adequate for such a signal.

5. andyAV

andyAV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sy

You can try satcure.co.uk or similar online sites for good prices on proper cables - satellite cable should be well shielded - the better it is, the less crud you'll get in the signal - satcure do CT100 (single coax) and CT63 (Sky+ twin cable stuff) by the meter and sell f couplers and screw on f plugs all at prices well below hi street stores (think rhymes with Chaplin). I've just recently bought and used stuff from satcure - though I chose to rerun the whole runs in CT100 to avoid joins as I needed an extra 10m and the CT63 isn't brilliant for long runs (20m max recommended by satcure and by sky installation engineers).

Andy

6. pemberto

pemberto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
  7. andyAV

andyAV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you go down the route of installing wall sockets make sure you knock a big enough cavity in the wall behind to allow bending of cable into socket rear without damaging the cable/shield (speaking from experience).

Can't agree with Paul though re going to any professional outfit for ready made sat coax given the cost of this option for no benefit - it's so easy to screw an F connector to a cable at two ends - after all that's all the SKY+ installer does.

You can also use sat coax for tv cables too with no problems - again most (all?) terminators are screw fit though of different form to sat f terminals.

Andy

8. pemberto

pemberto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I was just giving options. For my install I use MK modular sockets makes it all very neat and tidy and for the hook up cables I went to Customer Cable and had them knock me up a couple of Van Den Hul Videolink and Audio Insert F-Type (not screw fit).

As with anything you get what you pay fore. I agree with Andy that shop sold cables are expensive for example, if you were to buy the VDH cable boxed by VDH you would pay about £65 for 1m. I paid about £12.

All my RF and composite video feeds are all using the VDH cable.

9. andyAV

andyAV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Paul - not trying to knock your opinions - just trying to avoid expensive options for no gain as I don't believe you get what you pay for especially with cables.

As an example I got the 2 dual runs of 20m terminated with F connectors for a cost of £8 and a bit of my time. A 1m run would have cost about £2.50. All this stuff is very high quality belden cable CT100 spec with high density braided shield over a copper wrap shield. My 20m run has just as strong a signal as the original install (of about 5m). I just can't see how some of the cable manufactures can get away with the prices they do - sure mine wasn't silver coated or cryogenically treated but it sure gave a solid picture.

In addition I've used some of the spare cable left to knock up DVD/VRC to TV feeds for parents analogue telly and this made a significant difference (for the better) to the picture quality over normal RF cable leads.

Andy - a cable sceptic.