1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sky cable connection to digibox

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by deezel, Nov 28, 2004.

1. deezel

deezel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi

I posted a while ago about not being able to receive BBC and ITV channels while receiving others ok from a sky digital dish

..but after jiggling the dish feed connection @ the digibox I got the pictures.

The problem though recurs and what seems ok for a while cracks up later.

This only seems to be happeninmg with the BBC and ITV channels though.

I have removed the cable and refitted the 'F' connector but the problem remains.

Incidently the 'F'connector plug on the dish feed cable has an internal thread @ the cable end but nothing to screw onto, so I just push it on , is there a bit missing?

Presumably and for some unknown reason the reception for these channels is highly sensitive.

Is there a particular way the cable feed should be connected to the plug which goes into the digibox or perhaps a better quality connecting plug?

It has the one from the original installation

2. GaryM999

GaryM999
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The threaded F connector is normal with the thread being there to secure it on to the coax sleeve by simply screwing on and cutting into the sheath a little. Not the most secure but reasonably effective. The more professional approach is to use crimp connectors instead but this requires tooling.

If you are having problems with a connector it is best to start fresh by cutting a inch or two back on the cable and remaking the end.

- Carefully cut away the outer sheath about 12mm.
    - Now fold the coax (screen) wires back towards the cable so that they overlay the sheath.
    - This should reveal the center core. Strip this back 10mm. And check that there are no stray wires from the screen touching.
    - Now screw the F conn onto the coax and outer sheath. The thread should bit the cable a bit and make connection to the coax at the same time.
    - One fully on the center should be proud of the end of the connector by about 1 or 2 mm.

Not the best connector but very simple to fit and remake.

Just another thought how old is you doggybox? Does it run hot? It could be that the power supply is on the way out and depending on the failing part you can lose just a few channels or loads. Some may be clear and others noisey. There are aftermarket repair kits out there if you like soldering.

3. deezel

deezel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi

yes, after putting my hand on the top it does seem to run quite warm.

I'll have another go @ refitting the F connector and report back.

Incidently, where can I get one of these kits ?

Cheers

deezel

4. GGTVBD

GGTVBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    What make & model is the box, deezel?