Sky cable - better or worse?

W

Wapping

I changed the cable connecting my sky box to the wall socket with a QED cable.

Though the picture overall seems to have improved on certain channels that used to have a poor picture (I am presuming those with less bandwidth) the picture now freezes or has lots of pixalation. Is it possible that the overall picture has improved but the cable is less forgiving of a poor signal or am I deluding myself (having spent the cash) and that the freezing is actually a result of the resulting signal being lower quality?

You should use double-shielded cable for satellite TV. RG6 is OK for indoor use and short runs (30 metres) while H109 or CT100 should be used outdoors and for longer runs (up to 40 metres).

I'm not familiar with QED cable. Make sure that it's double-shielded 75 Ohm cable specified for use up to at least 2GHz.

You're talking about the mains cable right?
You have wasted your money. There is NO WAY the mains cable type influences the quality of the picture or sound on a sky box.
Companies making such claims should be prosecuted.

You jest! He wrote "Sky cable". I took that to mean coaxial cable to the LNB and assumed he'd fitted a wall plate connector. Nobody could be daft enough to think that the mains cable has any effect whatsoever?

Which reminds me, there's some really good stuff here:
http://www.satcure-focus.com/audiotech/page4.htm

This self-amalgamating tape emits strong ultra-violet radiation which converts harmful ozone into ordinary sea water.

This has to be a wind up ;)

Also Tritium for domestic sale- i don't think so somehow :rotfl:

Nothing wrong with Tritium. It's only *mildly* radioactive. Remember the old "Trimphone" with the illuminated dial? Guess what was behind that!

Anyway, I rather fancy that gold-plated Scart lead myself. Might buy a couple. :clown:

I think he's talking about these; http://www.qed.co.uk/cables/av/qunex_br_rge.html

The QED Qunex STV range of cables.

I myself use two of these with wall plates to hook up my Sky+.

I used to use standard F-F cables from maplins but had an opportunity to swap them for the above. Looking at the Signal strength indicator on the Sky+. have not noticed any improvement/reduction in quality or strength but I have noticed a total removal of digital breakup in VERY Heavy thunder storms. The signal strength bars do not move at all.

Regards,

Guy

Originally posted by GETanner
I think he's talking about these; http://www.qed.co.uk/cables/av/qunex_br_rge.html

The QED Qunex STV range of cables.
Unfortunately these are gold plated (and no prices) so not compatible with my 100-00107 wall plate that I bought from here. Where did you get your gold-plated wall plate socket from?

(Frankly, I'm not a great believer in gold anyway. Just an excuse to charge a higher price!)

Fman

I assume you're talking about gold plated F-Socket wall plates.

Which if that's the case then nope, I'm just using the standard flush mounted f-socket wall plates from maplins.

For pricing, I've found the prices on the web to be as follows

TTV 1.5M = £35, 3.0M = £55

RVR 1.0M = £35

STV 1.5M = £35, 3.0M = £55

Regards,

Guy

Jeez, so I have to pay £30 extra to get gold plating on a lead which will make it incompatible with my wall plate!

Sod that for a game of darts. Everyone knows that the plating on mating contacts has to be identical, otherwise it introduces a serious risk of "rectifier junction" effect, which could totally screw up the signal.

If I could get a gold-plated wall plate connector, I'd consider it, although £35 is crazy money for a flash of gold IMHO.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom