sky by broadband

Discussion in 'Sky Broadband' started by ijd, Mar 11, 2006.

1. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    Anyone checked out sky by broadband.
    http://www.sky.com/skybybroadband/home
    you can download sports or movies for free "as long as you already subscribe"to watch at your own convienience, on your pc or tv if it is connected to your pc.
    I tried it last night and think it is well cool,
    And it costs nowt as long as you get the prem packs on your existing sky package:clap:
    Something free from sky:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :smashin:

2. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,855
    And it also uploads content you have downloaded to other people (say goodbye to your internet bandwidth)

Asnd they also record and store all the hardware information of your PC as well.

It's already been found that uninstalling the sky software only installs the aplication but not the P2P elements and hese services have to be manaully removed.

Think I'll leave it thanks.

3. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    It could be a nice idea in theory, but the following statements from their website

"Videos are encoded at a variable bit rate of 860 kbps, and resolution of 540x432"

and

"You will only be able to play the video on the PC it was downloaded to. Items cannot be downloaded on to DVD".

really mean that apart from possibly downloading to a laptop for viewing on the move, the service as it is, is really a bit pointless!

4. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    well i only ever download over night when i am not using the pc for anything else so no bandwith worries there,So what if other subscribers are downloading the sky content from my pc....thats how file sharing works,
    And as the the hardware in my pc has no bearing on my financial/sex life or anything else i would not discuss with people i would not choose to,they are welcome to that info, I cannot see what the problem is,I am certainlyno paranoid android,this info is surely only collected for evaluation purposes.
    I can only see this asa the way forward. As air band are constantly being narrowed by the introduction of new stations and the F"&*ing pirate radio stations surely the idea of getting a good source to my viewing medium can only be good,
    There are also a few experiments going on in the media world for delivering tv stations live by broadband, Just check out brighton tv for an example.
    http://www.tvbrighton.com/
    Is this not a way forward,

5. zico martin

zico martin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4

well i downloaded and whilst its a nice way of watching some football highlights i cant really me getting much from it. So how exactly do i get rid of it all now if uninstalling the software doesnt touch the p2p stuff?