Sky By Broadband.....P2P Software WARNING

Johndm

For anyone who has tried, and/or deleted this sky software.....
quotes from another forum...

Can't understand why anyone would want Sky By Broadband service as its is rubbish! Also it installs P2P software on your machine that runs and steals bandwidth even when you don't have SBB open / running. In addition this is not un-installed when you un-install Sky By Broadband, it leaves Kservice.exe running and it starts every time you reboot.

Removal tool for Kservice.exe here,

http://www.kontiki.com/technology/resources/Client403_DevPackage.zip

Rob_Quads

Johndm said:
For anyone who has tried, and/or deleted this sky software.....
quotes from another forum...

Can't understand why anyone would want Sky By Broadband service as its is rubbish! Also it installs P2P software on your machine that runs and steals bandwidth even when you don't have SBB open / running. In addition this is not un-installed when you un-install Sky By Broadband, it leaves Kservice.exe running and it starts every time you reboot.

Removal tool for Kservice.exe here,

http://www.kontiki.com/technology/resources/Client403_DevPackage.zip

You got any further info on this. I have this running on my laptop and its not stealing any of my bandwidth. When the machine is idle my bandwidth is virtually 0 (only a small amount of msn pings etc)

the_ape

Standard Member
The P2P service (kservice.exe) is in fact a P2P application as stated (in fact the same application is used by BBC for their software).

It does 'steal' some bandwidth however not a lot, and then only if you are downloading a film (does this in the background so you don't need the client app open all the time) or if you have a film someone else is downloading.

If you want to stop other people downloading from you, then setup your firewall to block it (so my blog post about the sky by broadband service for port information). That will then stop some of the bandwidth usage.

What I have done is set the service to manual and start it only when/if I want to download something (although the SBB app starts it if stopped on the launch of the application).

Just FYI, net start kservice will start the service, and obviously net stop kservice will stop it again ;)

zico martin

so does this sky by broadband thing allow you to download movies which are currently being shown? I currently have sky+ but do sometimes think i should get a dvd recorder to archive some shows/ films. If I can do this I wont really need a recorder will I?

Knyght_byte

Distinguished Member
the picture quality is lower than normal sky tho.....dunno if its surround sound or not as i only got headphones hooked up atm.......

still, its not a bad picture, tried Boyz in the hood and looked decent enough thru my 7205 PJ....sound over headphones was fine for a bit of late night movie watching.....

but seeing as i got most of the current offerings on DVD i aint wasting my 40Gb a month datalimite on my BT account...lol

and sadly i aint enough of a sports fan to download sports clips....

mebbe once they launch HD, if they decide to put HD content there i might be more interested ;-)

Knyght_byte

Distinguished Member
oh, and apart from 8mb of RAM, the kservice thing aint doin jack on my PC.....so i really cant be arsed to do anything about it......let them have their cookie data or whatever.....i care? i'm not dumb enough to keep personal stuff on a machine i use for all sorts of web usage....lol

zico martin

well I have downloaded a few sports clips which I find this good for, but as i have sky+ there isnt really must need to dowhnload any films. With regard it using a lot of my broadband, Ive removed Khost from my startup so Im guessing it will only be activated when i download something from their site, is this correct?

Johndm

Found this.................

I signed up for Sky By Broadband today in the hope that it'd have some good movies that I could watch. Turns out it doesn't - all it has is the same stuff that circulates on Sky Movies, and since I have Sky+ I can already record those to watch whenever I want. Looks like I don't need the whole Sky By Broadband experience.

Which is just as well really. I just tried to start my development web server that sits on port 8080, and it didn't work. It gave the ridiculous error:

ASP.NET Development Server failed to start listening on port 8080.
Error message:
Only one usage of each socket address (protocol/network address/port) is normally permitted

That's ridiculous - it's started every other time without problems, and I wasn't running another instance of it.

Except for once the error message from a piece of Microsoft software was actually right. There was something sitting on port 8080. A bit of digging with some SysInternals tools told me it was a nasty little Peer To Peer (P2P) sharing application (called KService.exe) from Kontiki that Sky By Broadband installed.

I can't find a way of turning off the Peer To Peer sharing, and even uninstalling Sky By Broadband didn't get rid of the beast. That's annoying.

Now normally I try to be a good internet citizen. If I download something using BitTorrent, I leave BitTorrent open for a while afterwards to continue to share the (often very big) file and to help reduce the load on the primary servers. So normally I wouldn't object to the same thing happening here with Sky By Broadband.

However, there's no choice in the matter here, and most people aren't even going to be aware it's happening. The only thing most people will see is that their internet connection is suddenly a bit sh*ttier than it used to be, and they'll probably just blame BT or their ISP. There's no control over what is shared, or how much bandwidth this malware saps.

On the plus side, Kontiki have some instructions on how to uninstall the malware.

On the minus side, the instructions are just plain useless when all they say is to use Add/Remove Programs and the Kontiki malware doesn't even show itself in Add/Remove Programs.

I think I'll manually uninstall the KService nastiness and give Sky By Broadband a wide berth. I don't care whether they declare what they're doing in the Terms & Conditions, I don't like them installing a nasty Peer 2 Peer applications on my machine and then making it hard to remove.

Just so you don't all think I'm just a miserable old curmudgeon, I'm not the only one who isn't too happy about the Peer 2 Peer aspects of Sky By Broadband. So there are at least two of us now.

I think I'm lucky they chose port 8080. If they hadn't I mightn't have noticed for quite a while. Now I'm scared for all the people who won't notice they're now running a server...

UPDATE (10 minutes later):

Well, the manual uninstall seemed to work. For those of you in a similar position, here's what I did:

Went into the Services applet and stopped the KService service. I also set it to Disabled.
Opened Regedit, went to HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Run and deleted the entry for 'kdx'.
Still in Regedit, went to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ System \ CurrentControlSet \ Services and deleted the entry for 'kdx'.
Deleted the entire folder where KService was installed (in my case 'C:\Program Files\KService')
Restarted the machine.
It all seems to have worked OK. Use these notes at your own risk though - I take no responsibility if it turns your PC into a smoldering lump of plastic and metal.

A

arkimed

so.. in theory if sky anytime uses a peer to peer program someone could advertise their own media by renaming the video files in the kservice\downloads directory and seeding their own version of the movie.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom