Sky + but with standard Sky Subscription ?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by samotlofty, Mar 31, 2005.

1. samotlofty

samotlofty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I may be asking the impossible, but does anyone know if it is possibble to use a Sky + box with a standard Sky card ? The reason I ask is that I don't have any premium channels, I'm not interested in recording/watching more than one channel at the same time and don't need the second LNB or cable. All I want to do is record one sky channel to the hard disk while I am out and want to set the recording using the Sky menu.

Currently I think my only option is to buy a seperate hard disk recorder to connect to my standard Sky box and manually set the record times on the recorder.

Any ideas ?

2. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    For the recording facilities to work, you need a Sky+ subscription.

John

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    For the full recording facilities to work, you need two LNB's. Someone else recently thought they could get away with one, and ran into all sorts of problems.

4. RostokMcSpoons

RostokMcSpoons

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I can confirm that the Sky+ box will NOT record until you've phoned up Sky for them to enable it... and it's got to be connected to the phone line.
    You'd have to pay the £10 per month if you don't have 2 premium channels.

5. samotlofty

samotlofty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies. Looks like I may have to get the full Sky + package.

thanks.

6. tangers

tangers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    At the moment you can get the Family pack, Movies 1 and Sports 1 for £28 for the first 3 months.

7. shaithis

shaithis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    It doesn't need to be connected to the phone line if you've bought your own Sky+ box or you've had your Sky sub 12 months.

I recently purchased a Sky+ box and rang them to get the card married to the new box and to get them to activate the Sky+ options......guy asked me to connect the phone line as it wasn't updating......I mentioned that card changes should come via the satelite signal and that I wasn't prepared, nor under contract to connect the phone line and he agreed.....2 mins later and my card had been updated.

8. Dan L

Dan L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    "I don't have any premium channels, I'm not interested in recording/watching more than one channel at the same time and don't need the second LNB or cable"

You need a HTPC :)

9. samotlofty

samotlofty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Forgive my ignorance but does HTPC mean Home Theatre PC ? and if I'm right would you recommend building one from a PC or buying a dedicated system off the shelf ? or can you point me to any good webs sites ?

10. Dan L

Dan L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Yes you are correct.

I'd personally recommend buying components to the spec you want, and making your own PC from it. Off-the-shelf ones are fine but may not meet all your requirements - and will probably cost a little more too. I wanted mine for occasional games-playing as well as HTPC use. I use Windows XP Media Center Edition on the software front.

If you seriously want to consider going down this route, let me know and I will send you a few URLs for site which can supply HTPC cases and quiet components which you will need.

11. samotlofty

samotlofty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can you give me a few URLs so that I can get an idea of the specs and prices ?

12. KITT

KITT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too would be interested in any Media Center PC tips/info you might have. I'm planning on building one once I've moved into my new flat mainly to use for recording TV/Sky and playing mp3s.

cheers :)

13. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
  14. Cyril

Cyril

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Get a TiVo instead of sky plus and increase the picture quality with mode 0 and/or the SDI modification.

15. stanleyntl

stanleyntl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Is it at all possible to record if you only have one LNB connected? Are the LNBs set so that input 1=watch input 2=record to HD, so you can't watch/record using 1 LNB? :(
    I was interested in the svideo out for my svhs vcr (given that a new Pace + box can be had for not much more than a new std receiver on ebay) : a SKY+ box can be used as a standard receiver okay? :confused: