Sky+ but not registered with sky does not work

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by asa_5, Jul 17, 2005.

1. asa_5

asa_5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :rolleyes: Hi

I am a newbie with sky, and sky plus stuff, I purchased a sky + box (second hand from ebay) just to view some free channels like bbc world and any other free channels (don’t wana subscribe to sky). All i can get is about 10 seconds view of the channels and than a message something like "there is a technical problem with this channel please contact a ....." appears on the screen and I have change the channel or restart the box. This message appears for every single channel i want to view.

Now, I don’t really know where the problem lies

1- Is the box faulty? I contacted the seller and he was not much helpful.
    2- Is the sky + boxe only work if you are subscribed?
    I have many friends who have old sky boxes and view many channels without any subscriptions

Any help would be appreciated

2. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,927
    Best bet is to ring Sky and explain your situation and ask them whether a Sky+ box, with or without a FTV card, would work as you want to watch FTA channels (BBc etc) and FTV channels like ITV, ITV2 etc.

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I'm a bit perplexed as to why you went to the extra expense of a Sky+ box (which is about twice the price of a normal box), when none of the Sky+ functions are going to work if you don't subscribe ?

4. davej

davej
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Only a guess, but it may be worth checking you've got the instant rewind switched off (Services, Sky+ setup) otherwise it might be trying to use the Sky+ services that you're not subscribed to.

5. ebony

ebony

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    To get the FTA channels to work you have to have a sky card plugged into the box. It doesn't matter if it has run out, it just needs one !

If you haven't got a sky card, you can get the cards from sky at £20 phone 0870 240 5651 to order.

6. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Not quite true, I'm afraid. The real FTA stuff (BBC1, BBC2, BBC3, BBC4, BBC News24) can be received on any digital box (doesn't even need to be a Sky box), because it's not encrypted in any way. Other non-subscription stuff (ITV1, ITV2, Channel 4, Channel 5) is encrypted, and needs a Sky box and card.

Asa 5 - just had a thought, go into the Sky+ functions and switch "Instant Rewind" to OFF. The Sky+ functions are only available if you subscribe.

7. asa_5

asa_5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi and thanks all for your replies

I tried to contact them several times their help lines are so busy i give up.

after all i now decided to sell back this sky+ box and go for an ordinary one that may be the best choice.

8. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Some of you may be confusing Free-to-View with Free-to-Air,they are not the same thing.
    Free to air is available unencrypted and you require no subscriptuion to watch it - an exapmle would be Sky News.
    FTV is encrypted and you will need a suitable viewing card to watch the channel, e.g. ITV, Ch4 and Ch5 on the Sky platform.