1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky+ Bugs since new card

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Too Tall, Aug 28, 2003.

1. Too Tall

Too Tall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I've had Sky+ from day 1 (Sept 01). And up until now I'd never had any real problems.

BUT......since I got the new card through, my box has been playing up. It sometimes takes 5-10 seconds to respond to the remote. Which when you're 30X FF out the adverts and it refuses to play, and then skips through the first 5 mins of the second half of a program is really annoying. It also sometimes does it when moving up and down the channels, even just on the banner. Also were as before the SKY+ planner was almost instant, i.e. to display recordings/delete ect. it's now running very very slowly, it takes up to 10 seconds just to display my recording, and anything upto 15 seconds to delete things.

I've been on to SKY and they've got me to do the usual resets and even a forced download, but it is still the same.

Has anyone else has the same problems?

Cheers,
    Too Tall.

2. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    I have similar problems; but, I'm afraid, I have no solution.

3. Too Tall

Too Tall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Nicolas,

Cheers at least I know it's not my box.

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
    My unit (original Pace box) is working OK after the new card so it's obviously not a blanket problem. Do you think your viewing cards might be faulty in someway?

5. ZeroCool

ZeroCool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Too Tall,

I have been lazy in reporting it...I have Sky+ since december 2001, no problems what so ever. I installed the new card in early August and there are constant problems. The remote doesn't seem to respond, I have to perform hard resets (power off) to get control back, the box all of a sudden just goes totally blank (black picture).
    I couldn't even bother talking to Sky as all they do is a reset...Just find it really annoying. I will log it actually as hopefully they will do some analysis on the number of calls logged against a certain category and get their backsides into gear....

6. paulS

paulS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi to all,

Just had my sky+ (v2 box, 2 months old) replaced today.
    Had the same symptoms (remote locking for 10 secs ect, blank screens ect.....)

All OK so far.......................

7. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    I've had Sky+ for over a year now and haven't noticed any difference since the new card arrived.

John

8. spike99

spike99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    We have had Sky+ for nearly I uear and recently updated the card, but no real problems yet.

9. danny-p

danny-p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive had sky+ for a couple of years now and after a nightmare of a start ( two units frying their H.D.D's) my current unit has been fine........Until the new card arrives......Once card is installed i now have a 5 to 10 second delay when pressing TV GUIDE and then scrolling down and selectin SPORT or MUSIC???
    This only started after i installed the new card and is annoying as sports and movies are my main use of sky+.

I also have probs with movies ending before they are supposed to or missing the begginings( with added mins to recordins start + end )

Maybe just maybe one day sky+ will be released bug free............NOT in our life time though!!

10. danny-p

danny-p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    YET being the main word here!

11. ISHANTY

ISHANTY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    thank you all i have had the same problem and i complained to sky they came out 1,2,3,4,5 times i got back on to sky to complain yet again i did all the things like turning off the box wait a few mins to turn it back on this didn't do no good but with my persistance i told them that it was their problem as the have given me a new card and now my units have bugs in the end they gave me a new box.you've got to fight with them before they do anything just keep on at them.you pay for the software its up to them to make sure it doesn't have any bugs

12. Too Tall

Too Tall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I doubt they will give me a new box as mine is now well over 2 years old. Surely they'll just says it out of the warranty time, tough?

Or has someone with an older than 12 month box got them to give them a new one because of the new card?

Stuart.

13. ISHANTY

ISHANTY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    i had my box since 2001 and they had too give me a new one

14. gusmc

gusmc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had the same problem after about a year, slow response even flicking through channels, percentage display not correct, very slow deletes etc. Fix in my case was a complete system reset which reformats the hard disk. Had to watch everything before I did it but it worked and its been fine since. New card hasn't caused any problems.

15. Too Tall

Too Tall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I gave in and paid Sky £65 :mad: to send me an engineer to tell me my Sky+ box doesn't work correctly.

The engineer was very good and was willing to accept that I'm not a complete gimp and that I wasn't "making it up" as one of the phone people tried to tell me. He was only at my house for about 5 minutes before saying, "I'll get you a new box". So off he went and I now have a new box. OK it's a refurb, but it works fine now.

So all is fine again, well until the next upgrade anyway.......

Too Tall.

16. rumnblack

rumnblack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too had a delay of approx 5 secs when changing channels. I noticed this only happened when the rewind live tv had kicked in. i.e. if I left it on the same channel then once it started recording live tv if I tried to change again it took 5 secs.

So I turned the option of in the menu and channel hopping was quick again.

Then I decided to power down the box (pulled the power lead from the back) waited 30 secs and replaced it. Once restarted I checked it was still changing quickly then set rewind to 5 mins and all was ok! Also the other menus etc. were back to their normal speed.

Hope this helps

17. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    Assuming that Too Tall has the same problem as me it is NOT just changing channels. The box freezes up for several seconds going into the TV guide, moving up and down the list in the planner, when playing back a recorded program and winding, when exiting a recorded program and going back to the planner, and in various other situations too.

18. Too Tall

Too Tall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    NicolasB,

My problem sounds very much like yours. It was definitly more than just channel changing.

The most annoying thing had to be, when FFing through the adverts the box then would ignore the remote and not play until having FFed though about 10mins of the second half of the program. :mad: very annoying.....

The full system reset suggested may work. But apart from that it's £65 and hope you get a good engineer.

Too Tall.