Sky + Bt

Jbuckman

Established Member
Reaction score
Im moving house this friday (15th) to a brand new house on a new development, and Sky have agreed to come out on Saturday to put up the new dish and install sky+ (living room) std box (bedroom), I already have this at my current house.

The question I have is the new house was a showhome and was an office for the developers, so it did have a 'live' business phone line which has now been disconnected. Now ive been having a right one with the missus over whether sky would need a 'live' phone line when they install my 2 boxes??

Im sure he would just be able to setup the boxes via the satellite link? and not need the phone line, which can be connected later next week (or when BT pull there finger out)

:lease: HELP

JB

Im moving house this friday (15th) to a brand new house on a new development, and Sky have agreed to come out on Saturday to put up the new dish and install sky+ (living room) std box (bedroom), I already have this at my current house.

The question I have is the new house was a showhome and was an office for the developers, so it did have a 'live' business phone line which has now been disconnected. Now ive been having a right one with the missus over whether sky would need a 'live' phone line when they install my 2 boxes??

Im sure he would just be able to setup the boxes via the satellite link? and not need the phone line, which can be connected later next week (or when BT pull there finger out)

:lease: HELP

JB

If you have multiroom you need phone line,if you have the other box freeview you should be ok as your not a new customer.
Think he will have to do a call back so line will have to be live if multiroom.

Sorry if it was mis leading, its a sky+ box and std sky box....

Unless you get someone in a bad mood, or a stroppy subbie, house moves can be done without a working phoneline.

Unless you get someone in a bad mood, or a stroppy subbie, house moves can be done without a working phoneline.

Sky rules are clear - the install cannot be done without an active phone on the day of the install. This applies to if you are within your years contract or if you have multiroom. A Sky engineer will definitely cancel the job as he gets paid regardless of how many installs he does a day and wants to get home asap. A subbie may decide to turn a blind eye if you tip him well but risks not getting paid for the job if Sky find out.

Cheers, Franc

Sky rules are clear - the install cannot be done without an active phone on the day of the install. This applies to if you are within your years contract or if you have multiroom. A Sky engineer will definitely cancel the job as he gets paid regardless of how many installs he does a day and wants to get home asap. A subbie may decide to turn a blind eye if you tip him well but risks not getting paid for the job if Sky find out.

Cheers, Franc

Franc, the rules for a house move are a bit more relaxed. Sky installers regularly do house moves without a working landline, and we lose bonus if we cancel a job. It all depends on who turns up, and what his team manager has said to him.

I am actually out of my years contract on sky+

this doesnt matter.
with multiroom you, "HAVE TO HAVE THE BOX CONNECT FOR THE REMAINDER OF YOUR CONTRACT WITH SKY"

(im not shouting, more emphasising this point.)

The terms and conditions require permanent connection and if not connected you will receive a couple of warning letters and then be automatically charged for two full subscriptions - this usually takes a month or two for the "first offence" so you have some leeway on getting phone extensions installed but they must be installed soon IF your installer agrees to install without them in the first place.

Franc, the rules for a house move are a bit more relaxed. Sky installers regularly do house moves without a working landline, and we lose bonus if we cancel a job. It all depends on who turns up, and what his team manager has said to him.

No they're not - I rang Sky engineer's support only 5 days ago - a customer had BT suposedly being switched on the same day but Sky cancelled the job and wouldn't rebook it until they had a landline working.

There are people who will do the job but it is a risk, like I said there is a chance that Sky will cancel the job afterwards and so therefore a contactor would not get paid for a couple of hours work. A Sky employee (the ones in my area especially would cancel it for sure as they look to lose as many jobs a day as possible!)

Cheers, Franc

Tell them you want the other box moved for freeview until you get the phone line sorted.They moved mine for that when i had HD installed.

They installed my second box before the landline ext was working, engineer diddn't even attempt a call back, i never finished wiring it in till at least a week later.

You'll end up getting loads of threatening and stroppy letters, unless the phones lines are connected

Ok, lets get this straight. On a House move it IS possible to reinstall a multirom setup without a working phone line. We do it all the time. Providing the phone is made active within 3 months there will be no penalty. All you need to do is ensure that the phone sockets that you connect the boxes to are wired in the the Master Socket, and in a new build, this is the responsibility of the builder/owner and not BT.
If the job is likely to be a bit of a pig, some installers ( both Sky and subbies ) will cancel it and use the no phone as an excuse. If it's straightforward, there is no reason at all why it shouldn't go ahead.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom