Sky broadband?

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by Pogster, May 3, 2007.

1. Pogster

Pogster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Im currently with AOL and have no wireless. Since i can switch at any time since my contract is up i was wondering how people are finding Sky broadband for use with the PS3. I will be going on the upto 16MB unlimited one.

There are mixed reviews on the web so not sure about them

2. tripodjw

tripodjw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I have SKy broadband. I have no problems whatsoever with the PS3 working on it. I have the 16MB package but my line is capped at 4MB due to distance from the exchange (still have 16MB version for the unlimited download).

I can have the PS3 downloading from the PS store, 360 downloading from the marketplace and be browsing the interent on a laptop all at the same time and with no apparent slowdown.

The only problem i experienced with Sky is that another ISP (probably my previous ISP) hijacked my line. It took a combination of Sky, BT and this evil third party 5 weeks to return my line to SKy so i could get my BB back. but this wasn't SKy's fault. However, when these probs were going on - SKy Customer Service was pretty pathetic - it's difficult to speak to the correct technical people. I complained in writing once i'd got my BB back and got £70 compensation so not all bad.

If you're thinking of going over to SKy, there is a great website called skyuser which has lots of technical stuff about the Sky BB and how to optimise it - including a few hacks to help you use a router other than the one SKy provide you with.

(Mods - i don't think skyuser is in direct competition to AVForums on this issue so i think its ok to mention here - if not please edit)

Overall i'd recommend Sky, just be aware you may have to put up with les than brilliant CS - but which ISP has great CS?

3. runam0k

runam0k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    Do you know how far from the exchange you are? Did you measure your connection speed or did Sky tell you the connection would be capped?

I have ordered Sky BB Max but I'm a touch over 1km from the exchange (as the crow flies). I'm still hoping for ~12MB.

What is the upload speed for Sky BB Max?

4. Mullet94

Mullet94

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I've been with Sky BB since November and had no problems except for the last month I have been without internet service due to the stupid numptys at my old ISP (AOL) reactivating my old account and thus blocking Sky BB from working. No idea why they done it as it was not initiated by me but I've been told Sky should be reconnected some stage this week.

5. tripodjw

tripodjw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I think i'm about 3-4km from the exchange, hence capping at 4MB.

I consistently get an upload of about 600-650 (as measure on speedtest website)

6. tripodjw

tripodjw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Good luck mate. Like i said above it took them 5 weeks to get mine back - and that was after repeated promises of "next week" right from the beginning.

it seems that this hijack issue is becoming quite widespread on all providers and i personally think it is criminal behaviour. I've never had it confirmed who hijacked mine but like i said i think it was my old isp (tiscali btw)

7. SteveG

SteveG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    I've got no problems with Sky Broadband at all. Getting 6.8mb from my 8 meg package and a consistently good service - not bad for a fiver a month! The only problem I had was random disconnects from the playstation network, caused by Sky's flakey DNS servers. I put in an OpenDNS address as the primary DNS server and this solved it.

8. Pogster

Pogster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    thanks i was a little bit put off by some of the horror stories but i think these were just teething problems when the service first started. Hopefully it will be plain sailing for me

9. BradleyLove

BradleyLove

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
    I'm on the mid package too (8mb line, 40gb d/load limit) and I've had no problems at all. Router is really good too, proper Netgear not some proprierty ********.

Two thumbs up for me.

:thumbsup:

10. M1keF

M1keF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I diteched NTL for sky. Got the upto 16mb package and get around 7-8mb down all the time depending on when I sync the router up

Have had no problems with it apart from dropouts but thats due to noise on my line (need to sort out my wiring) and a router reboot fixes it

11. Tazbot

Tazbot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,278
    I use Sky Broadband (16mb) and it runs fine - no dis-connections, no hiccups - no problems at all :D :thumbsup: :smashin:

12. Wattsy 75

Wattsy 75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +313
    I have sky broadband. PS3 is connected fine, logs on, can play online, download from the Store...............BUT.........

Cant get the damn headset working properly, worked once on motorstorm

Does anyone else have/had this problem

Does anyone have a step by step to adding the PS3 to the DMZ as Ive been told this may rectify the problem.

and once youve changed the router settings do you have to change the ps3 connections settings???????:lease: