Sky Broadband - Suddenly unable to connect to internet..

Mojo_786

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I've had sky Broadband for well over a year now and it has always worked perfectly, no issues. But last night, I couldn't get on the net. I've got a wireless router which has always worked fine. I know it's not the laptop at fault as it is new and I also cannot connect to Wi-fi from my iPhone. There must be something wrong with the router.

I reset it (using the rest button at the back) but I was expecting the lights to flash so then I could let go of the reset button but nothing. I powered it down and back up, still nothing. I have checked the cable connections and there is no breakage in the cables/connections..

What could be causing this? How can I diagnose the problem and solve it?

Please help..:lease:

Last edited:
First, you need to find whether it is the WiFi connection or the broadband connection that has been lost. Do this by looking at the lights on the router and also by trying to connect the PC via Ethernet. A cable came with the router.

I forgot to mention the lights.. There are normally 3 (of a total of 4) lights that are on when the wi-fi is connected. Two of them are constant while one is intermittent (if I remember correctly). At the moment all 4 lights are constant and that looks wrong to me.

There are 5 sockets at the back of my router.. one is labelled ADSL and the other 4 are color coded, I haven't got the box/instructions anymore, so how do I know which is the ethernet one?

There are 5 sockets at the back of my router.. one is labelled ADSL and the other 4 are color coded, I haven't got the box/instructions anymore, so how do I know which is the ethernet one?
Any one of those coloured ones. They are the only ones that the cable will fit into.

Is this a Sagem router as there are issues with the firmware. I have had 3 in the last 4-5 months which all went the same way and i ended up having to complain to get a resolution, yesterday funnily enough.

I came on here to find out Skys complaints email address to send it to and got an apologetic reply within an hour. I've linked the email here if anyone is having a similar issue of incompetent support: http://www.avforums.com/forums/sky-hd/946913-there-sky-complaints-procedure.html#post10738538

Also regarding your prob. If all four lights are constant, its f*cked and a reset won't work. My previous 3 were exactly the same. I am now being sent a Netgear.

Last edited:
hi, i have just had a similar problem. i am able to connect to an unprotected wireless network but not my own!

Any ideas?

If you're not using the ethernet port (wired to router) than you should have 3green lights on. Power, Internet & wireless.

The numbered section (1-4) only light up if you have wired a PC etc to the router.

PS the ethernet port to use is the yellow one closest to the centre, ignore the blue and green.

It's the port that sky recommend to use. It even says it in their manual.

If you're not using the ethernet port (wired to router) than you should have 3green lights on. Power, Internet & wireless.

The numbered section (1-4) only light up if you have wired a PC etc to the router.

PS the ethernet port to use is the yellow one closest to the centre, ignore the blue and green.

I've got 2 yellows with green an blues above..does this mean I can wire my PS3 as well as my aged PC??

Yes you can, and it doesn't really matter which Ethernet port you use, they're identical.

Which was the reason for my earlier question.

Raj is right though...it does say to use the yellow...still good news that all can be used eh :thumbsup:

Mojo, I work away in the week and Skype my wife nightly(keep a straight face). She rang me a few minutes ago to say that I won't be able to Skype her as the router has gone down.

Sky informed her that as our router is an older model (Sagem) it is unable to cope with the update and as it is out of warranty they will charge her for the new router - the silly mare agreed to pay them. I'm amazed that they have the front to inform us that the router that we were forced to take from then cannot take the update that they are forcing on it and when it goes wrong that it is our responsibility!!! :censored:

Admin Why does "s n i g g e r i n g " get blocked by the swear filter?! :confused:

Last edited:
Admin Why does "s n i g g e r i n g " get blocked by the swear filter?! :confused:

read letters 2,3,4,5,6,7 and in what context were you going to use the word?

lets get this thread back on topic...

[I'm amazed that they have the front to inform us that the router that we were forced to take from then cannot take the update that they are forcing on it and when it goes wrong that it is our responsibility!!!
I would suggest that warranty is neither here nor there for two reasons.

Sky insist that you use their supplied router for the supply of their service. That being the case in order to supply the service they are responsible for the router otherwise they are not living up to their contract.

If your router can't update whereas others do, that suggests a fault on the box when it was delivered. Under the Sale of Goods Act, the retailer (Sky) is responsible for such inherent faults for up to six years (five in Scotland).

isnt it the same with the satellite box after a year its yours and you are responsible for failures..unless you take their pricey insurance?

Sky informed her that as our router is an older model (Sagem) it is unable to cope with the update and as it is out of warranty they will charge her for the new router

How odd.. I wasn't charged for mine..

..Actuall, maybe that was because mine had actually broken down.

But still.. they shouldn't have charged you. I would complain.

read letters 2,3,4,5,6,7 and in what context were you going to use the word?

lets get this thread back on topic...

Curly99

I was initially going to ask those who read my reply about skype-ing the wife not to sni gger.

Secondly, where was I off topic:confused: . My question about the filter was an aside to my main post which was relevant.

Beerhunter

Whilst you were providing your helpful comments my wife was getting similar help from CAB which she has acted upon. Thanks :smashin:

Curly99

I was initially going to ask those who read my reply about skype-ing the wife not to sni gger.

Secondly, where was I off topic:confused: . My question about the filter was an aside to my main post which was relevant.

Curly99 has answered your question so you can drop the issue now, there is no point in chasing it up any more, if you have any questions regarding forum issues, concerns or general forum questions then you can use the Forum Feedback & News Archive - AVForums.com section, otherwise keep this thread on topic, any further posts regarding this will just be removed.

Is this a Sagem router as there are issues with the firmware. I have had 3 in the last 4-5 months which all went the same way and i ended up having to complain to get a resolution, yesterday funnily enough.

I came on here to find out Skys complaints email address to send it to and got an apologetic reply within an hour. I've linked the email here if anyone is having a similar issue of incompetent support: http://www.avforums.com/forums/sky-hd/946913-there-sky-complaints-procedure.html#post10738538

Also regarding your prob. If all four lights are constant, its f*cked and a reset won't work. My previous 3 were exactly the same. I am now being sent a Netgear.

Im having a similar problem. Just had sky installed a couple of weeks ago and got a sagem but cannot pick up enough signal to use it upstairs. The range is awful. Just contacted their customer services and they said theyll order a replacement and leave a note to request a netgear but could not ensure that it would be a netgear.

Did you get your Netgear router in the end? And is it any better than the Sagem?

Did you get your Netgear router in the end? And is it any better than the Sagem?
Because ALL WiFi output is regulated by law no router has better WiFi output than any other. If your problem is due to the construction of your house then a different router won't be able to 'punch through' any better than another.

However as most WiFi problems are caused by channel conflicts, try a search on these forums on how to use inSSIDer to fix problems.

Because ALL WiFi output is regulated by law no router has better WiFi output than any other. If your problem is due to the construction of your house then a different router won't be able to 'punch through' any better than another.

However as most WiFi problems are caused by channel conflicts, try a search on these forums on how to use inSSIDer to fix problems.

Ive tried every single channel and still no signal upstairs. Never had this issue with old router which was in the same place as this one. Therefore it is obviously the sky router. I hope to get a netgear one net or may just cancel the phone line and broadband and go back to bt and o2 for broadbnd.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom