Sky Broadband..Problems already....

Discussion in 'Sky Broadband' started by nico_4, Sep 8, 2006.

1. eddy987

eddy987

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    changed wireless channel to 6 and sorted everything, so far

2. SkyBroadband:)

SkyBroadband:)
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hey y'all.:hiya:

Just to let you know that most of the problems that you will face in regards to connecting wirelessly to the netgear router mainly lies with YOUR computer. How i know this vital information i hear you all yell?? Well i shall inlighten you all, i shall open your minds to the magical mystical world of a sky broadband tier 1 technical agent (me).

When your call comes in we have two choices 1) take the call or 2) spacebar it (which ends the call). Most of the time when you are trying to connect wirelessly using an inbuilt wireless adaptor the made issue is that most inbuilt adaptors are configured to WEP security encrpytion, the netgear router is pre-set to WPA~PSK (KTIP). Basically all you have to do is access the netgear settings page. HOW?? you enter 192.168.0.1 in the address bar. you will be prompted for username password. username:- admin password:- sky (lowercase). select wireless settings on the top right hand corner. scroll to security options and select WEP. you will the be prompted to enter a passphrase, do this and click generate. you will then notice key 1 - key 4. copy what key 1 says. click apply. then go to your wireless connection and selct the SSID (ex SKY12345) enter the network key that you copied and volia you will have a connected, secured network and will be able to browse.

You want my love and attention.

Any posts fire away

3. charleyboybates

charleyboybates

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi there.
    followed the advice of changing channel and hey presto it is working superb(at the mo).
    just one thing, what does g or g&b mean ?

4. mansell

mansell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Just my two pennies worth but I never use any encryption, I always turn off SSID broadcast and enable MAC address filtering.

5. Lezman

Lezman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +448
    I have a different but equally frustrating problem.
    It worked fine for a week or two, then it disconected and ever since I can only get 'local access'.
    The laptop is on the network fine, it says it is connected- however the router doesn't seem to be connected to the internet.
    Reparing the connection doesn't work as it doesn't think there is a problem.
    The internet symbol on the router is lit, so that seems ok, and there is nothing else taking the line up (the router is directly into the phone line).

When I test the line using a phone or the sky box test it all seems to have no problems.

Something to do with DNS?

:lease:

6. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,855
    802.11b is an older standard that supports up to 11mbps, G is a later standard supporting upto 54mbps. Leave it on auto B/G

7. djstorm

djstorm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This worked for me like a treat.... Nice one... I did exactly what you had said, change mode to " g " and changed the channel, i changed mine to channel " 1 " but i think this could be anyone all depending on trial an error.... But it worked like a charm, i have now connected my two Smartphones without a problems also the Nokia 770 internet tablet and also my Laptop without a problem and connection stays connected... You were a life saver after so many calls to Sky trying to figure this out... Thanks for the tip... Great Work..

Saif:clap:

8. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +183
    make sure you check the channels on teh wireless router - if it is set at 13 it needs to be 11 (or vice versa), UK laptops cannot see channel 13 (or 11 can't remember which way round).

9. smurf1985

smurf1985
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

I need some advice, i have recently purchased sky bb & my router will not fully connect wirelessly!! It works perfectly fine when the ethernet cable is connected but as soon as that is removed the internet connection reduces to "local area only" which is unabling me to access any websites, was wondering if anyone can help? I don't know a great deal about computers but I have never had this prob before

10. beerhunter

beerhunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +740
    Start by reading one of the umpteen threads here on using inSSIDer to fix this type of problem.

11. stha2232

stha2232
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    username: admin
    password: sky
    ip adresses: 192.168.01

THIS IS THE CORRECT.