• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sky Broadband or O2: What do you recommend?

highpriest

Hello!

I recently moved into a flat which is not in a cabled area. Got Sky TV and phone so far. Don't know if it's just me but I've not had the best experience with Sky so far (looooooong waits, expensive 0844 calls, unhelpful customer service, general cluelessness etc etc).

Now that my phone line is active (after almost a month!), I'm ready to order a broadband connection. Don't want anything to do with BT, AOL or TalkTalk so I'm currently considering Sky or O2.

First of all, can I get O2 broadband on a Sky phone? How does the O2 offering compare to that of Sky? The higher upload bandwidth offered by O2 is what I find particularly attractive (I upload a lot of photos to Flickr).

I have both Sky and O2 LLU services at my local exchange (Winchester). According to SamKnows, I live 599 metres from the exchange (in a straight line). What sort of speeds can I expect to get? To my surprise, O2 says 5 Meg and BT says 3 Meg (using their respective website checks) :rolleyes: Is that all I can expect to get?

I've been spoiled by Virgin Media's 20 Meg connection in my previous flat :D so a solid, fast and reliable service is what I am after. Please help me decide! Also, if anyone of the forum members live in the SO23 area and subscribe to either Sky or O2 BB, please let me know your experiences.

TIA
HighPriest

graystreet

Yes you can get O2 BB if your line rental is with Sky.

Without your line stats you can't really predict what your speed will be. Living 599m from the exchange you should get a pretty good speed ( now if it had been 600 metres that would have been totally different :D). But it depends on the route the cable takes from the exchange to your flat.

As a comparison I live around 2.5 km from my exchange and I sync at just over 11 Meg on O2. Speedtest from Thinkbroadband gives me 9.5 Mbps. So for you to be estimated 5Mbps your line must go via Southampton :) You won't really know until you get BB installed unless you've got neighbours you can ask.

If cost is an issue, then as you've already got Sky TV, Sky is probably the cheapest option but, as you say, their customer service is a little lacking at times.

O2 do have a free UK based call centre, I haven't had to call them yet but have emailed them and got a response promptly with a solution to my question. O2 also tend to have introductory offers such as 3 months free and if you order through Quidco you also get cashback apparently. Also if you have an O2 mobile you can get your BB cost reduced further still.

As the previous respondents have said O2 are very good, I would recommend them personally, but ultimately the choice is yours.

Mafiosa

Standard Member
o2, simple.

Because firstly i used to have virgin broadband not the cable but normal broadband at 8mbps but actual speed i was gettin was 4mbps, and i lived just under 200 meters to my exchange. Changed to o2 8mbps and on activation date to about a month later i was gettin 11mbps WOW:eek:, but it soon dropped down to 8mbps so im well chuffed:smashin: with o2.

Secondly as earlier poster replied if ur wit o2 u get discount on broadband i am so i gets 8mbps for £7.34 and i think 16mbps is £12.34, so its easy to me:clap: choose o2.

snakeyes30

Standard Member
In terms of speed, I would not expect much of a difference, as the only factor involved here would be the quality of each company's respective hardware in the exchange.

I have had experience with both companies and I would say that the customer service provided by O2 was better, but not by a long way. And for both companies I did not have too many problems so this wasn't really a huge factor anyway.

New Start Neil

Distinguished Member
I got fed up of the Sky techs in India telling me that I was getting the speeds I should be (I'm quite far from the exchange, but knew I wasn't), so in the end I moved to O2 for a few reasons:

• UK call centres.
  • Small discount as I'm an O2 mobile customer (£7.34 per month, instead of £12 per month).
  • I had nothing to lose speed wise, so it was a win/win!
  • I got £50 cashback just by going via Quidco.com! :devil:

So I kept my Sky line rental and moved over, the transition was painless and I now get a constant 6Mmps out of my 8 meg line.

I placed a couple of calls in to Tech Support for some assistance in finding my way around their router and they were polite and helpful and solved the issues quickly and painlessly, which was the complete opposite of Sky. :thumbsup:

Rygar

Both Sky & O2 LLU provide a quality service.

In terms of download speed there will be no difference between the 2 at your distance. I'd estimate you should see anywhere from 8 to 12 Mb.

You will get better upload speed with O2.

If you are an O2 mobile customer then O2 will be cheaper. If not Sky will be.

Horses for courses.

Rygar

I get 6Mb with O2, compared to the just over 5Mb I got with Sky.
And the next guy will get 6Mb with Sky vs just over 5Mb with O2. Slight variations in speed will occur between different people at different exchanges but you cant make a blanket statement saying O2s download speeds are faster than Sky's across the board. The only time this will be true is when a line is capable of faster than 16Mb as Sky cap at that speed whereas some O2 services go higher. But on a line only capable of sub 16Mb speeds (which the OP almost certainly is) download speed for all practical decision making purposes should be considered equal.

highpriest

Everyone,

Many thanks for the suggestions and advice. O2 it is then! :thumbsup:

On the website they say they provide 1.3 Mbps upload bandwidth. In real life, how much do you guys actually get? Any speedtest.net stats to share?

My wife has an O2 mobile so cost wise, both Sky and O2 are going to be same for me. The wireless router that O2 provides - is it any good?

Thanks again
HighPriest

Rygar

Everyone,

Many thanks for the suggestions and advice. O2 it is then! :thumbsup:

On the website they say they provide 1.3 Mbps upload bandwidth. In real life, how much do you guys actually get? Any speedtest.net stats to share?

My wife has an O2 mobile so cost wise, both Sky and O2 are going to be same for me. The wireless router that O2 provides - is it any good?

Thanks again
HighPriest
You should see full upload speed so I'd guess with 1.3Mb sync you'll see around 1.1Mb real life. Assuming you are going for O2 premium it is a few pennies cheaper than Sky!

Downinja

Distinguished Member
Been a UK Online customer (bought out by sky) and a BE There customer (bought out by O2), now a Sky User and have setup a few O2 lines.

Honestly both good products, pick the cheapest.

Most recently setup a Sky line, very quick setup, was capped to 3Mb (line is capable of about 4.5), phoned up and cap was removed whilst I was on the line in under 10 minutes by someone in England. Call was free and no wait, can't say fairer than that.

highpriest

Most recently setup a Sky line, very quick setup, was capped to 3Mb (line is capable of about 4.5), phoned up and cap was removed whilst I was on the line in under 10 minutes by someone in England. Call was free and no wait, can't say fairer than that.

Thanks Daniel. Took the plunge and ordered for O2 broadband. Should go active by the end of this week. I'll report back soon!

Cheers
HighPriest

highpriest

O2 broadband is active and I must say - I'm mighty pleased so far. Fast and rock solid. Thanks everyone for the recommendation. :smashin:

Speed Test Results (at around 7:20 PM!!): :D

499528149.png

499526945.png

499527580.png

Router Stats:

Uptime: 5 days, 23:32:00
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,334 / 19,076
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 17.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 10.0 / 20.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 5.5 / 5.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / BDCM
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 11 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 1 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 1 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 661 / 1,717,786
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 661 / 149
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 221 / 75

Cheers
HighPriest

tvdavid

If you are going on to sky max then its still quite good.
But I dont think its worth getting mid with only having just a 10GB cap a month.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom