Sky broadband LLU in my area?

risheet03

Ok so i just rang virgin to cancel my services (basic tv , 10mb broadband and basic phone package), and when i mentioned that i want to move to sky the lady said that i would only get 2mb down an adsl line in my area.

So im a bit confused really, i was under the impression that i wouldnt quite get 20mb from sky but still at least 10mb, samknows tells me that sky llu/easynet is in my area but virgin are me telling that yes sky llu is available but you will only actually get 2mb.

Is anyone able to clear this up for me?

thanks

Miss Chief

Distinguished Member
Ok so i just rang virgin to cancel my services (basic tv , 10mb broadband and basic phone package), and when i mentioned that i want to move to sky the lady said that i would only get 2mb down an adsl line in my area.

So im a bit confused really, i was under the impression that i wouldnt quite get 20mb from sky but still at least 10mb, samknows tells me that sky llu/easynet is in my area but virgin are me telling that yes sky llu is available but you will only actually get 2mb.

Is anyone able to clear this up for me?

thanks

it depends on many things including the quality of your line, both internala nd to the exchange but the main thing is the distance from your exchange to your house. The Closer the better. How she knows what speed you'll get is beyond me but try a check on the sky website.

risheet03

im about 800 metres from the loughborough exchange, and according to samknows sky llu is available.

if i get sky broaband i'll also be taking out sky talk, and sky will be either installing a new line, or reactivating my old bt line which is about 16 years old.

i want sky because its only 18.50 on top of my tv including line rental and talk package, whereas virgin want 24.49 for line rental and broadband!

rickinyorkshire

Distinguished Member
There should be a line checker on the sky website, this should give a rough estimate of line speed.

Miss Chief

Distinguished Member
if you're only 800 metres away unless you line is absolutely rubbish or goes round the houses before reaching your house you could be looking at close to the top 20 meg. I'm 750 metres from my exchange on Sky BB Unlimited and get almost 20 meg, usually 19500+.

risheet03

i checked my local pizza places number, thats 2 minutes away, and sky predict he can get between 10 and 20 mb, were virgin just bullsh***ng me?

risheet03

this is a fairly new estate, (15 years) so i would imagine the wiring around here is fine, my mate across road with talk talk gets 6mb i think and he pays for up to 8, i will be paying for up to 20mb!

Miss Chief

Distinguished Member
If he gets 6 meg when he's paying for 8 then he's either got a bad setup (Router on anextension, some devices not filtered correctly) or his line is very poor.

Miss Chief

Distinguished Member
No one pays for 8 Mb/s or any other number. It is always "up to".

True, but if his mate has a very similar line length to the local exchange as he does, he should be getting far more than that, possibly even double or triple the figure he's getting.

seddy

risheet 03
Just noticed your posts on skyuser and the image you show says 0.8 Miles not metres,which I make to be about 1300 metres from exchange,you should get a speed around 13-16+ Mb on a good line

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom