SKY/Broadband/home phone etc..

chrisbin

Scenario is that I intend to sign up to Sky HD in nxt month or so. I also planned to use them for phone and bband (currently use BT and Tesco respectively). However, free SKY bband service not available in the area (no LLU servces avail.) so that opens up other possibilities.....

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Broadband availability
Estimated line speed: 5.5Mb
Local exchange: Castleton
Line status: Clear (you are free to order broadband)
Distance to exchange: 1.43km

The following providers are available at your postcode:
AOL (ADSLMAX)
BT (ADSLMAX)
Orange (ADSLMAX)
Sky (ADSLMAX)
TalkTalk (ADSLMAX)
Virgin National (ADSLMAX)

Digital TV availability
The following providers are available at your postcode:
Sky
BT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question is, who of those are recommended ? Should I go with Sky talk & surf anyway? If so, should I sign up to everything at once, or is it better to add on bband/phone package after?

etc etc!!

:lease:

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Question is, who of those are recommended ? Should I go with Sky talk & surf anyway? If so, should I sign up to everything at once, or is it better to add on bband/phone package after?

You're not just limited to those (as can be seen by your current use of tesco), if you can get ADSLMax then you can sign up to any standard ADSL Package, it's only the LLU services and cable you can't get.

What do you particulaly want from your broadband? Reliability? Service? Low Price? Are you a light or heavy user? Do you want a months contract or are you prepared to put up with a 12 or 18 month contract?

Zen are very good service and reliability wise and have a 1 month contract but they're not the cheapest and don't offer any heavy use packages.

chrisbin

Cheers for comments. Looking for low price for low user, but also reliability too!

Very little downloading, just email and web browsing.

beerhunter

Novice Member
Cheers for comments. Looking for low price for low user, but also reliability too!

Very little downloading, just email and web browsing.
Reliability will be identical as they will all use the same BT Wholesale owned kit and the same pair of wires. Maintenance will also be identical as they will all use Openreach.

However some of the ISPs are truly appalling when it comes to getting problems fixed because they do not like calling Openreach - because it cost them money - and often seem to have the diagnostic skills of a half-trained moron.

So you need to choose on price and Customer Service. For comments on those, read the many threads her - carefully.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
problem is as you cnt get llu you be slowed down after about 4pm

What? That's nonsense.

Reliability will be identical as they will all use the same BT Wholesale owned kit and the same pair of wires. Maintenance will also be identical as they will all use Openreach.

The only use the BT Wholesale network to a certain point, beyond that it's their own kit and network. And then there's factors like the modem and microfilters the ISP provides (and sometimes, restrict you to). You can in theory change them, but sometimes you're better paying a little more for decent kit to start with.

chrisbin

Been advised that its worth signing up to Sky TV service, then contact them wanting to add phone/bband and a good chance they will give you the "free" service even if not strictly available....

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Been advised that its worth signing up to Sky TV service, then contact them wanting to add phone/bband and a good chance they will give you the "free" service even if not strictly available....

Well they won't give you the same service since it's a matter of whether the hardware is in place, but they could give you an equivelent one for free.

chrisbin

Well have got Sky HD installed now, so just been trying to negotiate on broadband service - best I can get is £10/month for Sky Connect (instead of the normal £17)....

Should I just go with this, or should I be able to manage a better deal..??

:lease:

beerhunter

Novice Member
The only use the BT Wholesale network to a certain point, beyond that it's their own kit and network. And then there's factors like the modem and microfilters the ISP provides (and sometimes, restrict you to). You can in theory change them, but sometimes you're better paying a little more for decent kit to start with.
For all non-LLU operators, the kit used in the local Exchange is EXACTLY the same. Things only start to vary at the Point of Presence when the sub hits the ISP's network. Most (if not all) problems occur on the Local Loop and therefore reliability will be, for all practical purposes, identical.

As to modems (do you mean routers?), the ones that I have come across supplied by ISP have all been of good quality - some identical that that that can be purchased (at exorbitant prices) on the high street. In other word the kit that they supply is 'decent'.

beerhunter

Novice Member
Well have got Sky HD installed now, so just been trying to negotiate on broadband service - best I can get is £10/month for Sky Connect (instead of the normal £17)....

Should I just go with this, or should I be able to manage a better deal..??
Ten quid for Sky Connect appears to be their floor price. It is normally offered to subscribers waiting for an LLU connection.

However the way that Sky Connect and the Sky LLU packages connect to the Sky network is different and some people have had problems with Connect that do not occur with the other three packages. (Sky not buying enough capacity from BT if I remember correctly.) You may want to have a look at the Sky forum to see if the problems have been fixed.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
For all non-LLU operators, the kit used in the local Exchange is EXACTLY the same. Things only start to vary at the Point of Presence when the sub hits the ISP's network. Most (if not all) problems occur on the Local Loop and therefore reliability will be, for all practical purposes, identical.

In a technical sense yeah, although things like consistency of speed will vary due to ISP-specific throttling.

As to modems (do you mean routers?), the ones that I have come across supplied by ISP have all been of good quality - some identical that that that can be purchased (at exorbitant prices) on the high street. In other word the kit that they supply is 'decent'.

Is the failure rate pretty high for home modems then? I've seen plenty of stories about people having to restart their modems once every month or even more frequently and the three people I know who have BT Home hubs have all had problems with it.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 Review, Apple Lossless & Dolby Atmos @ no cost, Sennheiser IE900 review + more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom