Sky Broadband Fibre Router

happy_2008

Hi,
Does anyone know which routers support Sky fibre broadband? I understand that the TP Link VR2800 is one of them but they cost slightly more than i want to spent (£160). Are there any router/modems that offer decent Wifi coverage for around £100 that supports Sky Fibre?

markymiles

Distinguished Member
All the tp-link ones will work with Sky Fibre. You don't necessarily need one of the top ones. Something like the VR400 would do the job, just work your way up the range if you want more features or more powerful wifi

sep8001

A work colleague had issues with his sky router and upgrade to a to link Vr 900 and is happy with it.

So as above, depending on budget have a look at the tp link vrxxx modem/routers.

Redpedr0

Novice Member
Hi Sorry to piggy back on this thread. I have an issue where i would like to replace the SKY router with ideally a Modem only as i have Google Nest Wifi Mesh system.
My question is 2 part.

Can i use just a modem only to handle the DHCP Option 61 protocol and the connect to my Google Nest Router? If so what would be the best option
or
Is the option to use a combined Modem and Router and set the Router element to Bridge mode to allow GNest to handle the IP Addresses.

Thanks for any help

Tearing my hair out with double NAT issues and drop outs.
PS tried every configuration option available on earth to try and get them to play nice.

outoftheknow

Bridging a modem should send the “internet” to the router and the router takes the IP address. the only function of the modem is to take the protocol in use and give you synch and the internet. This is all the modem part of a combined modem/router does anyway.

Bridging should turn off all DHCP, NAT etc on the modem - however I have seen some modems where even with a single click to set the modem to bridge mode, if you go into the settings you find they haven’t changed. It still takes an IP, NAT is enabled and you end up with double NAT.

Redpedr0

Novice Member
Bridging a modem should send the “internet” to the router and the router takes the IP address. the only function of the modem is to take the protocol in use and give you synch and the internet. This is all the modem part of a combined modem/router does anyway.

Bridging should turn off all DHCP, NAT etc on the modem - however I have seen some modems where even with a single click to set the modem to bridge mode, if you go into the settings you find they haven’t changed. It still takes an IP, NAT is enabled and you end up with double NAT.
The issue

Hi thanks for the response.
My understanding though is if a Modem passes the internet to the Router the router needs to handle the DHCP Option 61 protocol from Sky. Or am I wrong can a modem like vigour 130 be set up with Option 61 and then bridged using PPPoA to PPPoE for Google Nest WiFi??

outoftheknow

The modem once bridged is not involved. The router either has VCI 61 (and 60 I suspect) or it doesn’t.

Is the 130 in there?

edit - Google wifi mesh plugs into the modem

is the issue that it doesn’t support VCI 61?

Maverick567

I use a Vigor 130 model with a Edgerouter Lite, works faultlessly. I’m fairly certain any of the cheap Openreach models will work, as it’s just a case the router needs to authenticate via the connection.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung Micro LED, Mini LED, NEO QLED TVs and More: AVForums Podcast Interview
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom