Sky broadband DNS failure problem

Discussion in 'Sky Broadband' started by TeenSpirit, May 3, 2007.

1. TeenSpirit

TeenSpirit
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    No happy bunnies here anymore :(

Having major problems with Sky - loss of broadband at some point every day !!!

It has now actually gone altogether since yesterday :mad:

We called Sky and our call has 'been escalated to Tier 3 Department' who 'will get back to us in due course' !!!

We have an error code: 300
    Network address issue - unable to assign valid IP address

On running another test and also test on Xbox live they both say 'DNS failure'

Can anyone cast any light onto these problems please ? What is the problem ? One guy told me that the problems seems to be with the Sky equipment on our line from the exchange to our house.

Any help and suggestions would be appreciated
    (beginning to wish we had stopped with Tiscali :eek: )

2. Rygar

Rygar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +274
  3. TeenSpirit

TeenSpirit
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    The Max at £10/month - do you think that maybe it is running too fast for our line ?? It did occur to me

I read the skyuser posts and there seems to be similar problems, but very technical for my understanding - someone asked Tier 3 to reduce their speed and don't seem to have had problems since... Someone else seemed to think that their Sky interferred with the router ???

We also have problems receiving broadband when it is damp or raining and someone mentioned to us that it is the 'old' lines from the exchange to our house that are affected by damp but there are no plans to upgrade our area from the exchange.

4. TeenSpirit

TeenSpirit
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91

By the way - it came back on again yesterday, but for how long I don't know, such a pain :mad:

5. Rygar

Rygar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +274
    I would be surprised if that was the cause, sounds more like a DNS issue, but as I said I just dont know to be honest.

I suggest posting your problem in one or both of those forums I linked and explain you are not very technical...and that you would appreciate some help in easy to understand non-techie langauge.

I only really asked out of curiosity as I wanted to see if you were on the connect (BT) or an LLU service...your LLU as it happens. If Sky ever LLU my exchange I may be tempted, so just really trying to get a feel for what the service is like...what problems to expect etc.

6. TeenSpirit

TeenSpirit
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    No problem, thank you for your interest.

Anyone else any ideas on this forum ??

7. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,304
    I had the same for a day or so once , it seemed to come back of its own accord . Although I too was escalated to tier3
    I don't think its anything to do with the speeds , considering I'm also on MAX and get **** poor DL performance . (regularly under 2Meg :( )

8. AV Monkey

AV Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I have had sky broadband for a just over a week and i have problems all the time with connection. My wireless adapter has good signal but often the internet explorer cant show web page. Also when i can get on it is only up to 1800kbps. Im signed up for 8mbps:thumbsdow Even after several phone calls to sky tech help, one of which seemed to help with connection this weekend. Does this sound like the same problem? Even as i write this im having problems submitting reply it keeps coming up cant display page.:thumbsdow :mad:

9. TeenSpirit

TeenSpirit
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Yes - keeps dropping connection all the time - stopped again last night -

Unplugging and plugging back in router and reconnecting wireless seems to resolve problem some of the time ... :confused: - still seems to be running too fast for our line and so dropping out -

We have decided to change to another ISP, but who ??? We hear mixed reports about all providers :confused:

10. TeenSpirit

TeenSpirit
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    It's working again but currently running at UNDER 1meg !!!! :eek: Before it was running at around 2 1/2 meg - SOOOOOO SLOW

Checked advice from other forum and settings on router all as should be - is it something to do with the Sky router ? Is it getting too hot, or is it too close to the TV or the portable phone or the Xbox ? Is something interferring with it ? :confused:

11. Woodywizz

Woodywizz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,135
    Is Rob malting at the moment in preparation for summer, and consequently some of his flowing locks are clogging up the router :confused:

Just my twopeneth :D

12. TeenSpirit

TeenSpirit
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    :rotfl: :rotfl: think he would probably say 'pulling his hair out' at the moment :D

13. Woodywizz

Woodywizz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,135
    I was contemplating on changing to Sky - from Tiscali - may give it a miss now.

"BE" seems to get some good reviews though.

14. chaddy

chaddy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    we have had sky BB for about 3 weeks now.
    we had drop outs all the time was quite annoying.
    then one day it just would not come back on.
    phoned sky and they siad it was a code 300 or something which was a server problem so not our fault.
    now it was only yesterday that my dad mentioned that the sky was doing well.
    and come to think of it we have had a week with no drop outs.
    we also get between 4 and 6 meg.
    my mate on the other hand who lives about 15 mins away has ha nothing but problems.
    same thing with the disconnection thing but he used to get under 1meg.
    so I'm wondering if you are too far away from the exchange.
    I must say we did notice that if we used sky for say 2hrs then left it and came back to it say 30 mins later it would have lost connection.
    the more we used it the better the connection.

15. TeenSpirit

TeenSpirit
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Exactly what we are experiencing with under 1meg currently. BE website say they can't offer us broadband as we are too far away from the exchange so maybe you are right - when leaving the bb alone and coming back and it was off, we thought using the telephone during that time interferred with the line that was why we were having to reset the router.

16. TeenSpirit

TeenSpirit
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    On my poll thread, Digger suggested trying another filter as it solved his problem.

At the moment, our filter set up is as follows;

From wall socket we have a 2 plug socket with Sky phone line in top and ADSL filter in bottom socket

Then in the ADSL filter we have our BT phone line in and Sky Netgear router in (as suggests on the filter housing).

Is there maybe a better way ... ?

We only have this one socket into the house - would we be best to have another socket placed elsewhere with the phone in for example ?

17. ancientgeek

ancientgeek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can recommend using a good quality filter; there's some very poor ones about, but ISP's don't usually supply the useless ones, for obvious reasons. Shops, ebay, online stores, OTOH, may offer you something cheaper.

ONLY the Netgear Router should be connected directly to the phone line (ie to the ADSL socket of the filter. EVERYTHING else should be via a filter, or your broadband won't always work properly. So a filter needs to be plugged directly into every phone socket in the house. (Or for added geekiness, you can do what I do, and wire the filter in at the main socket, with all other sockets (in my case four other phone sockets) downstream of the one filter, so all my sockets are filtered with only one filter).

"DNS error" doesn't really signify much; in most cases the first step taken by a browser or mail program when connecting to the internet is a DNS lookup to find out the IP address to connect. If your internet isn't working properly, a DNS lookup is likely the first thing that will fail, rather than a web page fetch or a mail access.

18. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,304
    I just plug the Router straight to the Master socket ( with noet else) and have filters on the extensions only

john

19. ancientgeek

ancientgeek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This of course usually requires a separate adapter from BT socket to RJ11/RJ45 socket, (which for most people is built in to a filter).

20. TeenSpirit

TeenSpirit
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    I have now plugged the ADSL filter straight into the main socket and then the router into that and the 2 plug phone extension into that (with the telephone and Sky phone line into that).

Seems to be working ok at present :thumbsup: only time will tell, thanks for advice so far :)

21. Simon Kemp

Simon Kemp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I had Sky Broadband installed last October using the £17 a month "Connect" package because the local Exchange (which is about two miles away) hasn't been unbundled yet. I also get unlimited UK 'phone calls for £5 a month with Sky Talk. The Broadband connection occasionally drops out, but unplugging the router and plugging it back in after a few minutes almost always solves the problem. The average download speed is about 6 Meg against the theoretical maximum of 8; of course, uploading is a lot slower. I'd never go back to dial-up after having experienced the joys of Broadband. The package includes a free Wireless Router and anti-virus software plus three ASDL Filters. The only problem I might have encountered is that I can't stream TV programmes via Orb to other computers; there seems to be a problem getting past the Router and hours of installing and uninstalling software and opening/closing ports has achieved nothing.

22. TeenSpirit

TeenSpirit
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Speed test is showing current speeds of around 500 - 600 kpbs
    Is this about 1/2 meg :eek:
    When we had problems with Tiscali we were running on average 2meg

Why is Sky sooooo sloowwwww