1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SKY boxes with plasmas - any differences?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by crobo, Mar 7, 2005.

1. crobo

crobo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    Could anyone help me with this one? I have a 3-yr old SKY digibox linked to a Panasonic 4 plasma via a Lumagen scaler. The box is the basic default Amstrad model (the 100 I think). My question is: do the various digiboxes (Sony, Panasonic, Grundig) give essentially the same picture quality? I know some are faster than others, and others have lower threshold signals, but I really want to know if I can improve the PQ by changing box since a few of these come up on the classifieds at fairly reasonable prices. The present PQ is good but if I can improve it further I would of course do it.

Any advice appreciated!

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    how is it connected and to whcih scaler, only place you can really go is an SDi modded PAce V1 Sky+ unit!

3. crobo

crobo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    Hi HD
    The digibox is connected to the Lumagen via a JS RGB to VGA converter. It's the old model (analogue) Lumagen, one of the outgoing ones bought about 8 months ago. The Lumagen certainly improves the PQ but, as I indicated, I wonder whether the SKY box is letting the system down in the video department. From your reply do you believe this not to be the case, and the only real possible improvement is the modded SKY+ box?

4. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    The various digiboxes gave alternative output options - some offered S-video (Amstrad ??), some had Dolby Digital sound (Sony, but not 5.1??), Sky+ had 5.1 on certain channels only and S-video as well as RGB. The RGB output was very similar on all of them and given that you have an RGB to VGA converter I wouldn't be recommending swapping receivers (though others may have more informed views!).

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    twas grundig that fitted S-video to some of there units..... unless the scart out put is really bad verging on faulty i would worry too much but if you want Sky+ and the scaler can have an SDi board then it is worth looking at but a considerable investment.......

6. crobo

crobo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    Thanks for the input folks. I did notice that some models had s-video outputs but can't imagine they make a lot of difference compared with RGB. The picture is actually good; it's just that with second hand digiboxes going for less than £50 I would get one if they improve image quality over the current one (the scaler cost £500 after all, and that does make a difference). However, it doesn't sound as if they do (unless anyone knows better?) and I am not worried about SKY+ at the moment. Most of our serious viewing is with DVD.

7. Likvid

Likvid
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    That's what i said earlier, RGB is NOT that big of a improvement over S-video, actually S-video can i many cases deliver a sharper picture than RGB and be much nicer.

When i had an old Sony CRT and Pioneer player i got a much nicer picture from S-video than RGB.

RGB delivers a much more dull picture than S-video, but the colours are better and it's cleaner in RGB.