• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sky+ Boxes- Which is the best

P

philandsue1

There have been a number of Sky+ boxes released by a number of manufactures. Does anyone know if there is a list of all of them up to today. I am getting a new box very soon from Sky and would like to know what is currently available, what the specs are and which one is the best in the off chance that I might get some sort of choice.
Thanks

Nick_UK

Banned
If you get a box from Sky you get what the engineer brings. There is no system in place to pre-book a particular make/model of box. The only way to get the box of your choice is to buy it privately and pay to have it installed.

P

philandsue1

I agree that is normally the case but the last time I had my box changed the Sky guy actually had two types of box with him and asked me if I had a preference. Does anyone know what the current latest version of the Sky+ box is, not including the 160 version?

P

philandsue1

Well, I've got my new Sky+ box and it's an Amstrad V3 box. The first two days I had it, it was really noisy with the fan going into turbo mode on a regular basis and the hard drive ticking away merrily. On day 3 the fan stopped going into turbo mode and I haven't really heard it at all. Either the ticking has got less or I have got used to it but the box is now relatively quiet. The hard drive holds many more recordings than my old V2 Pace box. The programme planner responds much slower than my old Pace box as does pause, rewind, etc.. However, overall I'm pleased with the box but i would have been more pleased with a Pace box as I am sure the quality and speed of response would have been better.

P

philandsue1

I've now had my box changed again but this time for a Thompson. The Sky guy said that they have hardly any Pace boxes anymore. Their normal box is the Amstrad. He also said that the 160 box is no longer provided which I was surprised at. Anyway, the Thompson box is much quieter than the Amstrad box and responds much quicker. It doesn't look as nice as the Pace boxes as it has a flimsy little flap that covers the Sky viewing card and there is a clear plastic panel that is attached to the whole of the front of the box which looks a bit cheap. The remote seems to be very directional on this box. If I point it anywhere other than directly at the box it will not respond. However, overall I am very pleased with the Thompson over the Amstrad.

H

hon65

I have had (had) my sky+ for 9 weeks and read the forums before ordering as I too wanted the "best box", the concensus being the Pace. so when my new Amstrad failed (hard drive) sky booked the engineer to replace.. when he came the missus just asked for the Pace and hey presto! he had one on the van.. from reading the forums its whats on the van, so pot luck!.. I must say though the Pace is so much quieter and has a (percieved?) better quality.:)

FRANTIC FRANC

I still say the Pace PVR2 is the best Sky+ box to date, it seems to be the most reliable out of them all and can take a 160 or 250gb HDD with no problems.

Cheers, Franc

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom