1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky boxes knocking out ADSL....

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Family Guy, Oct 4, 2004.

1. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I plug either of my Sky boxes into my BT phone socket, my ADSL drops out...however, if I plug the phone in, the ADSL works fine. This is a recent thing as it's been working fine for the last 2 years since I got broadband.
    I've changed the microfilter and all the cables from both Sky boxes but it's still happening. To make things more cionfusing, a Sky engineer came yesterday and replaced the boxes but to no avail...
    Just to recap, this is what's happening...
    Broadband pligged in on it's own - working fine
    Broadband and phone pluged in - working fine.
    Broadband and 1 sky box plugged in (no phone) - Broadband drops out.

The only thing the sky boxes share is the LNB, and I persuaded the guy to change that as well...but it still knocks out my broadband.

BT are stumped and are reluctant to do anything else as I have voice and that is all they are obligated to supply. Pipex (my ISP) are stumped and ditto the doing anything as I have broadband when no sky boxes are plugged in. Sky have done their bit by changing the box but it still dosen't work...

Anybody have any ideas...? :confused:

2. matty2767

matty2767

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    turn off call waiting?

have you subscribed to any service from bt such as 1571?

3. applevenus

applevenus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    can you try using the box at someone's house with a similar setup ?

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    i have used the analogue modem on my laptop while my sister was on her PC using BB (odd i know but at the time it was all i could do) Worked fine....

5. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't added any services recently...basically, everything is as it was. It seems to me that BT have added or done something to the line somewhere that has caused this to happen...

6. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Two things:

1. What brand/type of microfilters are you using?
    2. When your Sky box is connected, do you have it connected via a Microfilter to your phoneline?

7. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1. I don't know - I picked it up from B&Q when I purchased all the cables for the digiboxes. It is the same as all the others I have used tough...one RJ45 socket and one BT type socket.
    2. Yes...both digiboxes and phone run through the microfilter. When you plug the sky box into the spare socket (it's a double socket - same number), it dosen't cut it out but gives the "phone line busy" signal when broadband is connected and you do a system test in set up.

8. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Okay.

When you connect your Sky box to the microfilter, is the end that plugs into the microfilter a BT type plug (eg like your phones) or is it an RJ45 one?

Don't forget, on a microfilter, only the socket that takes a standard BT plug is filtered. The other socket is not filtered at all, connecting anything other than ADSL equipment to such a socket will potentially cause you problems.

Personally I would consider getting some decent microfilters and seeing if that makes any difference.

Ones like these which are tested and approved to the relevant BT specs:

http://www.adsl-filters.co.uk/buy.html

You can always return them if they don't do the trick.

9. Frank

Frank
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Got the same problem. As I'd only jusy got broadband, thought it was me. Now re-assured I ain't as daft as she says!

No idea what causes it but symptoms are exactly the same. Busy 'phone line when sky plugged in thru' filter, broadband dropped out etc. Have just disconnected sky box so all works, but I KNOW the letters will start coming....so not a permanent fix. My filters were supplied by BT with the router so I guess they are compatible.

10. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    i had a similar problem. It did what you describe briefly, but within a day or two it didnt say phone line was busy, just failed to dial whenever the box tried to call back.
    They sent us plenty of rude letters to "reconnect" the (already connected) box and we sent rude letters back! Magically they stopped sending the letters and the sky boxes now call back fine. I assume sky just had some settings wrong.
    How long have you had this problem?

11. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    I've got a Sky+ and an ordinary digibox as well as 3 phones and a broadband connection connected to multiple phone sockets (with microfilters) around the house and don't have any problems with the Sky boxes knocking out the broadband connection.

Even if I connect the ADSL modem to the same microfilter as the Sky+ box, it all works fine. My microfilters are all directly from BT.

John

12. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My biggest concern here is it's been working fine for 3 years (since I got broadband).
    The plug that goes in to the filter from the Sky boxes are standard BT plugs (not RJ45 - that only comes from the modem).
    I've had a report back from someone reference the driver that came with my modem may be corrupt (I installed them on a borrowed laptop...seems to have messed it up a little... :blush: ) so I will get in touch with the modem manufacturer and see what goes there. Started my PC this morning and the ADSL line was down. Happens quite often, but this morning, no matter how many restarts or uninstalling and reinstalling of the modem I did, the line would not kick in...phone worked OK though.

13. cj

cj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
  14. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The two connectors on a normal microfilter are a BT socket and RJ11(NOT RJ45),EVERY device connected to the phone network requires a microfilter(If lines are BB enabled),if you have three extensions etc you need three microfilters-treat the microfilters as your new connection boxes. Where the Sky plugs in (via microfilter) is this the BT master socket or an extension? Old Sky Digital boxes used to have the option of pulse dial(not sure on new boxes??) If this option is set to pulse dial and not tone dial you may have problems.

15. Frank

Frank
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Having read explicitlyrics note about his problem going away after a few days, just tried the sky box connection again. Prior to that I used the 'spare' filter on the router connection, no problem with voice or t'internet.

Upon connecting sky to the filter then in to the box on wall, hey presto- kaput. No voice, no broadband (then an entertaining half hour resetting pc/router/settings...).

So I watch this thread with hope that some-one can help.

(Could it be a DIY extention box installation? This appears to be what I have, very ropey but worked fine for the kids to add a couple of tenners worth of sky-games charges to my bill before broadband. So I know the socket did work. Any thoughts? Could it be wired wrong and work for voice but not BB?) Hmmm.

16. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Frank,

Don't think it could be wired incorrectly. All the additional extensions in my house (4) run from the main socket and all were wired long before I got broadband and I've got no problems.

Forgot to say before that I've also got caller waiting and that doesn't cause any problems with broadband although it used to with dial up!

John

17. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    My broadband connection isn't activated until next week :( You can certainly wire a telco(voice) socket back to front(reverse polarity,pins 5 & 2 swapped) and it will work fine,how this would affect BB i don't know....yet ;) I'll do some tests next week for you ;)

18. Frank

Frank
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Looking forward to it. Thanks

19. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All I can say is I'm getting pretty :censored: off with the whole thing now.
    My broadband takes about 4 or 5 restarts before it comes on in the morning, my graphics card is now causing seriouse errors and shutting down my PC so I've had to uninstall it and my sound card dosen't work anymore... :confused:
    I thought I had traced this back to an instalation of Windows XP SP2. I uninstalled it last night but it hasn't fixed it...(my graphics card software appears to go around in an infinite loop...it's a geforce 4200 128mb if anyone can help out there...latest drivers from the nvidia website onstalled...)

Phoned Pipex yesterday morning and the line was down...they confirmed this after a line test. (this was with just the modem plugged in and nothing else...)
    They phoned yesterday evening and said it had been repaired...but down again this morning. However, it still didn't work with the Sky box plugged after they told me it had been fixed!!!
    Would be interested to find out where other people that are having this problem live or how far they are from their exchange and what modems they are using. Apparantly broadband is pretty stable up to 10km's from the exchange these days...

20. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    swapped polarity made no difference on mine.Sounds more like you have line problems(noisy?)

21. quattro

quattro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Ask to have the gain turned right down, had a similar problem in my last house.
    Quattro

22. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In all cases like this you should disconnect EVERYTHING from all phone sockets. Then plug a microfilter into the master jack socket (the phone socket that contains a capacitor and a gas discharge tube) and plug the Digibox into the microfilter (using a proprietory extension lead if necessary).

If it now works, you have a wiring fault.

23. Frank

Frank
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Fernsehman-Early riser for a sunday aren't we?

Advice spoken like a man with experience but a couple of points to clarify.

Do you mean have ONLY the sky box connected (leaving any other connection points empty) AND have it directly in to the master socket?

If so, thats great to test the box/line/connection for sky, but doesn't allow me to try broadband at the same time.

Family Guy- the only reason I can get broadband is thanx to the magic of 'extended range'.
    'Til last month I was out of reach of the exchange, now its been pushed further so I'm on! Don't know how far it is from the exchange.

Upon 1st installation I had a problem with the ethernet socket on the PC. The PC was being allowed to 'turn off ethernet socket to save power'.
    Typically overnight the pc switched it off, rebooting didn't help, had to clear all info, re-establish IP address and 'refresh' system. Daily. Very annoying.
    'Unticking' the box in power management in local area connection properties saved all that hassle and I've not had a problem since, other than 'sky box knocking out ADSL' .... still. (phew! back on topic...)

24. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, let me clarify.

Connect ONLY one microfilter to the master socket. Unplug everything else from all phone sockets. Connect the Sky Digibox to the microfilter and test it. Connect your ADSL modem or router to the filter then test it. If they are OK, connect BOTH up and test them. If they now work, you have a wiring problem somewhere that is preventing other configurations from working. If they don't work, disconnect the extension wiring from the back of the master socket (leaving only the incoming telephone "A+B" wires) and repeat the test. If they still don't work then the Digibox or ADSL modem is faulty. (It's just possible that your ADSL line is absolutely borderline and the addition of the Digibox is "tipping it over the edge" but I think this is as likely as fairies at the bottom of the garden).

As with any fault-finding, you should reduce the system to its simplest form, get it working, then add bits from there.

Early riser? Well, if the customer has a problem that occurs only at 6.05pm, what else can I do. Turns out his TV interference was caused by his central heating switching on. Old fashioned thermostat contacts arcing for up to twenty minutes! I don't mind getting up early for £50 an hour. I didn't ask him what he was recording at 6am each morning but it was on Hot Bird.

25. Frank

Frank
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Fernsehman- All clear. Thanks. Have now got a task for the afternoon.

On TV interference, used to get that with sky analogue, only on some channels, picture all fuzzy, the sound was ok, oh boy they were having fun...

26. Richard QC

Richard QC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm no expert but I would guess a wiring fault somewhere in the extension(s) you have. I have had the following issues in the past;

1) Phone ringing at 3:30 am every morning with nobody on the end!

2) Letters from Sky telling me my 2nd Digibox is not connected when I know it is.

3) Intermittent problems with Internet access using standard modem connections.

All were solved, after numerous calls to BT, Sky and ISP by replacing the extension cables. Now nothing had happened to or been changed with the cables that I know of, for some reason they just failed and caused problems.

4) I now have broadband with Sky+, Sky and 2 telephones connected and all works fine.

27. steven21

steven21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have had the exact same problem also.

when i had sky+ connected to the phone line i could not connect my broadband.

i tried everything, but nothing worked, and as i work for sky i knew everything to do with the sky+ box to see if that was the problem but it didnt appear to be. But then last week i put the sky back in the phone point, and forgot to disconnect it again, then i tried to connect to BB and everything was fine again. i dont know whats changed but its all working now for some reason?????

28. greenwood03

greenwood03

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    scanned yr original post, have had similar probs - not exactly the same but nevetheless big hassles trying to get a result from BT. After weeks of helpdesk nuisance BT sent an engineer. End product, he tested main tel point and found 101% ok, when tried to test where we have BB connection had probs. He put it down to some interferance with out existing extensions that are running here /there everywhere coupled with being towards the edge of 1 Meg territory. the problem had got worse after we upgraded to 1 meg. Next dorry neighbour has similar probs with Sky and i think he's going to try the solution - which was dedicated data cable with inbuilt filter from master switch- since then line hasnt dropped once, all extensions and sky work fine...may be worth investigating? BT will chrg about £40, could prob do yrself for a fiver....

29. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the answers guys...still ahve a problem somewhere though. Booted up this evening and couldn't get BB...waited an age so rang the ISP (Pipex) and asked them to check the line...told me that ADSL had been removed from my line!! Looked down at the socket and had a sky box plugged in...removed it and the line tested OK :confused:

I have a funny feeling my moden is at fault. It's a cheapo etec from special reserve that was purchased as a quick stop gap that has lasted 3 months... :suicide:

I'll pick up a new modem at the end of the month and see if that works out OK...

30. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just tidy this one up...it was the modem at fault. It was an etec POS purchased from Special Reserve and it obviously couldn't take the strain.
    I now have a Netgem wireless router and it has 2 sky boxes and a phone connected with it and is working faultlessly... :)