SKY boxes/cards problems ACTIVATION. PLEASE HELP

Standard Member
:lease: hi. can anyone help me, :lease:
I have as my main set up, downstairs,SKY+ HD, with subscription (6pk +sports) I recently got my new card and everything ok.

However, I have my older sky+ box, upstairs with the dual lead from dish. I paid £20 for another sky card, BUT I have NOT activated it yet.
I know i could never get ALL the channels that i do on the MAIN set up. (without multiroom) ,

1.) WHAT IS THE MOST I could get (without multi room). ???.I assumed ONLY FTV and NO sky plus features, is that right. reading through many forums, it appears mostly confusion,
I would like to get what i do, on my main system, except SKY sports of course.

2.) CAN I get SKY PLUS FEATURES, is it possible in any way.

3.) Is there any thing I SHOULD or SHOULD NOT say to SKY when Activating. also.just to mention, neither box is any longer connected to a telephone land line I believe THIS is important.

many thanks

grahamfromossy

Stevenage Neil

£10/mo multiroom subscription will give you everything you want (plus Sky Sports), however both boxes have to be connected to the same phone line at all times.

Broadz

If neither box is connected to a phoneline you can't get multiroom.

Without multiroom (and without paying for a second subscription) you cannot get any subscription channels, or Sky+ functionality, on the Sky+ box whilst the Sky HD box still has the card in it. You can pay for Sky+ functionality with the free channels on the second box, but seeing as this costs the same as multiroom but only lets you view and record the free channels, rather than all of your subscription channels as well, this would be a mistake - unless you definitely couldn't connect both boxes to a phoneline but had to have Sky+ functionality on both.

You can of course take the card out of one box and put it in the other - which will allow you to view the non-premium subscription channels on the Sky+ box. You won't be able to record these channels though, as the card will not be paired to the Sky+ box. This may allow you to record the free channels - I must admit, I've never tried recording a FTA channel on a box using a card which has Sky+ functionality enabled on it, but is not paired to the box. This will also, of course, prevent the Sky HD box from viewing any subscription channels, or recording any channels, while the card is in the Sky+ box.

Standard Member
If neither box is connected to a phoneline you can't get multiroom.

Without multiroom (and without paying for a second subscription) you cannot get any subscription channels, or Sky+ functionality, on the Sky+ box whilst the Sky HD box still has the card in it. You can pay for Sky+ functionality with the free channels on the second box, but seeing as this costs the same as multiroom but only lets you view and record the free channels, rather than all of your subscription channels as well, this would be a mistake - unless you definitely couldn't connect both boxes to a phoneline but had to have Sky+ functionality on both.

You can of course take the card out of one box and put it in the other - which will allow you to view the non-premium subscription channels on the Sky+ box. You won't be able to record these channels though, as the card will not be paired to the Sky+ box. This may allow you to record the free channels - I must admit, I've never tried recording a FTA channel on a box using a card which has Sky+ functionality enabled on it, but is not paired to the box. This will also, of course, prevent the Sky HD box from viewing any subscription channels, or recording any channels, while the card is in the Sky+ box.

Broadz

many thanks .

the new sky card that is in the main hd box, was in the sky plus box, for a few days. before the shy hd was fitted. But I assume the engineer did something to change it over to the new HD box.
. BUT it DOES work in both ( except SKY sports only).
I can initially( for activation) get the old sky plus box to the telephone. So assume multi room could be possible,

Also is it absolutely nessesary for the phoneline. My new sky+hd works perfectly the way the sky engineer left it, and its not connected to the phoneline . although he did leave a grey phone wire at the back of the box UNCONNECTED

The new 2nd( as yet unactivated )FTV sky card. I assume would be useless , because If i decided to go for multi room ,would not,, sky send me a new card to "PAIR" as you say . many thanks
grahamfrom ossy

Broadz

Also is it absolutely nessesary for the phoneline.
If you want multiroom, yes. Both boxes must phone Sky at least once a month to let Sky know that they are connected to the same phoneline. If either isn't connected, it can't "phone home".

My new sky+hd works perfectly the way the sky engineer left it, and its not connected to the phoneline . although he did leave a grey phone wire at the back of the box UNCONNECTED
That's because it's not multiroom - so doesn't need to phone Sky.

Standard Member
If you want multiroom, yes. Both boxes must phone Sky at least once a month to let Sky know that they are connected to the same phoneline. If either isn't connected, it can't "phone home".

That's because it's not multiroom - so doesn't need to phone Sky.
thanks broadz
I know this might sound stupid, but if i was paying for multi room , and subscription, why does my box or card ( dont know which) NEED to phone home (sky) once a month. and, if i did not keep them connected to the phone line, would sky just disconnected me and stop my premiums. and lose a customer.

many thanks
grahamfromossy

PS. I have had sky subscription since 1990 and still have 4 old boxes( and was a sky pioneer)

Last edited:

Stevenage Neil

...and was a sky pioneer..
Pioneer?

I self installed my Sky analogue system back in 1988, and installing one of those analogue dishes 18ft up a wall of solid concrete covered in pebbledash - that was pioneering!

Broadz

I know this might sound stupid, but if i was paying for multi room , and subscription, why does my box or card ( dont know which) NEED to phone home (sky) once a month.
To prove to Sky that they only need charge you a tenner for the second card, rather than double whatever your monthly subscription normally costs you. They only allow boxes (and cards) in the same household to have multiroom - otherwise you could take out half a dozen multiroom subs (for whatever your normal subscription costs plus five lots of a tenner) then give those extra cards out to all and sundry, who would then all get the same subscription as you but for only a tenner each.

If all cards/boxes are calling back from the same phone number, Sky assume all cards/boxes are in use at the same address, so allow you to have it at the greatly reduced price.

and, if i did not keep them connected to the phone line, would sky just disconnected me and stop my premiums. and lose a customer.
No, they'd scrap the multiroom charge and instead bill you double.

Standard Member
Pioneer?

I self installed my Sky analogue system back in 1988, and installing one of those analogue dishes 18ft up a wall of solid concrete covered in pebbledash - that was pioneering!
sky did all that for me FREE, on the"become a sky pioneer" scheme. pre 1990 - SKY NEWS and that annoying rolling ASTRA advert.

Standard Member
To prove to Sky that they only need charge you a tenner for the second card, rather than double whatever your monthly subscription normally costs you. They only allow boxes (and cards) in the same household to have multiroom - otherwise you could take out half a dozen multiroom subs (for whatever your normal subscription costs plus five lots of a tenner) then give those extra cards out to all and sundry, who would then all get the same subscription as you but for only a tenner each.

If all cards/boxes are calling back from the same phone number, Sky assume all cards/boxes are in use at the same address, so allow you to have it at the greatly reduced price.

No, they'd scrap the multiroom charge and instead bill you double.
many thanks for your help, i'll decide on the next few days . more than likely multi room. but put a sender on the line. thanks again

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom