Sky box will not power on from Stanby

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Stanley_Cooper, Dec 10, 2004.

1. Stanley_Cooper

Stanley_Cooper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hello All,

I have an amstrad box and now have a problem since this morning. I attempted to switch on the box via the sky button but wouldn't switch on. I can tell there is a problem as the remote led stays on longer than normal when I press it.

When I power off the box and power back on, press the standby button on the box it displays something like "looking for channel listings" for 10 seconds and then powers off. I have tried powering the box a few times, but makes no difference.

Any suggestions or do you think the box is on it's way out? :mad:

Stan

2. becca 250503

becca 250503

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

My Sky+ box (Amstrad DRX 180) just won't turn on from standby.

I have contacted Sky, and they said try to reload the software by, Unpluging the box then, holding down the back up button on the box itself and then turn it on. Wait a few seconds and a message will appear saying "Reloading software please wait 10 minutes" or something like that. Once its finished the leave it for 2 minutes and try to turn it on.

I have tried this 3 times but no luck.

Im not sure about the warranty on the box as I got it from a friend. Sky have said that because I didn't get it from them directly, even though my mate did they can't do anything about it.

Not sure where to go from here really.

Any ideas anyone?

Cheers

3. Mec

Mec

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    My mum had the same problem with her Amstrad box. Nothing Sky suggested worked and they replaced the box for a new Panasonic one. :cool:

She only had the Amstrad about 13 months and Sky wanted £60 until she told them she had the entended warrenty :mad:

4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Quite often it's the power supply that dies, and with the price of boxes these days it's often cheaper to buy a new box.

5. becca 250503

becca 250503

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Thanks for replying to my questions.

How do I find out about how much warranty I may have left on the Box.

When you guys bought one did it come with all the paper work? If so how long is the warranty on the Sky+ box. Not sure but has anyone got the warranty as a pdf or something that can be emailed to me?

How should I contact Sky about warranty and in the end they give me a replacement one?

Sky have said that because I didnt buy it from them they are not responsible for it.

Should I get it fixed myself from some repair shop? or has anyone got any other ideas?

Thanks again

6. scitech

scitech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Usually, the wording on product warranties say they are non-transferable. Can you still contact your friend? If she bought it less than a year ago and she can provide some kind of proof of purchase (credit card statement etc.) then she should be able to get an exchange from the retailer. If it's over a year old, then depending on how old it is you may be able to swing it by quoting the sale of goods act and saying that the box did not have a reasonable life span and it wasn't sold fit for purpose. They may at least repair it if nothing else.

If this fails then a second hand box shouldn't cost you too much.

Good luck.

7. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    phone up sky, tell em you want to cancel your subscription
    they ask why, you say cos your box is broken, and you can't afford repair
    they offer to fix it for nowt

always works, sometimes they give 3 months subs at 1/2 price as well.