1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SKY+ box upgraded with hidden mouse!?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Matty N, Jan 3, 2004.

1. Matty N

Matty N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    SKY+, what a gem. Can anyone tell me how to find the mouse that is nesting in my box and periodically squeaks at me when I'm recording, replaying or switching on the box?

Very often, if i'm fast winding, it will squeak every couple of seconds, and then the box crashes. Leaving it off (unplugged) for an hour or two often results in normal service being resumed (yay!).

So, what's going on? Anyone else had this problem and what should I do? It's my second box already and I'm loathed to keep having new boxes. It messes up a whole saturday morning.

I've put down mouse traps, but I think the poor thing is trapped inside. I can't release it in case it invalidates the warranty. I'm beginning to think the hard disk is spun at 7200 rpm by a heavily stepped up mouse wheel, being turned by the mouse itself. If this is true, and SKY refuses to sort the fault, do I have a case for animal cruelty?

Any animals right activists that could help?

Poor and downtrodden,

2. Taz

Taz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Easy answer to this one....

Install a cat ! that should sort you out in no time

:D

3. Matty N

Matty N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmm, interesting.

Would that go in the expansion port or into the 'interactive card' window?

4. jerboa

jerboa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My first guess would be the Fan. I think the fans are thermostatically controlled (i.e. the hotter your box gets the faster it spins).

Small fans like the ones used in Sky+ will make a sqeaky noise if they're functioning poorly. Pull the box out and when it starts sqeaking see if you can stop the fan with a pencil - if it stops voila - request a new box!!

The engineer that came to replace my box today said it was the most common Sky+ fault.

5. bop

bop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    unlikely a squeaky fan would cause box to crash i would have thaught..

6. aoughton

aoughton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    quite likely actually. if it's overly squeaky because it's not working properly, the box will overheat and crash.

the squeak is just a clue, not a cause.

7. Matty N

Matty N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Only does it when accessing the harddrive though, and I have managed to get it to do it at exactly the same point in the same recording several times over several hours!

The plot thickens. I'll fix it, where's my hammer?

8. Tesla

Tesla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Maybe the hard drive is faulty. If the box is still under warranty give sky a ring.

If it isnt threaten to cancel your sky sub and they SHOULD fix it for you anyway.

\\Chris