Sky+ Box upgrade to HD

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by thunt, Mar 12, 2006.

1. thunt

thunt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Speaking to Sky yesterday about HD, they mentioned that they are heavily promoting Sky+ boxes and the guy said if he'd bought a Sky+ box and then found out later he'd have to buy another one for HD, then customers would not be pleased. He then said the thoughts were that the Sky+ boxes would be upgradeable to HD.

All verbal I'm afraid and as I don't have Sky+, I don't know if this sounds feasable, but thought the info was worth passing on.

Incidentally, I phoned Sky initially as one of the box office HD channels said view this movie in HD for only £3.75 and to call to found out how. So I did.

Tim

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    Standard SKY+ units do not have the mpeg4 decoders, nor do they have the HDMI or Component outputs to support HD. They do not have the hard drive capacity for a combination of SD and HD nor the space for SKY's push content project.

So basically no they will not be upgradeable:)
    There may however be a trade in offer at some point.

Info on the HD channels have been telling you to call, very blatent advertising and promotion with no practical info on price or launch date given but they do make a few pence in phone call revenue:)

3. Howard Pitfield

Howard Pitfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Oh dear oh dear. Perhaps he meant that you could upgrade to a new HD box at a discount price - there is no way Sky+ boxes can handle DVB-S2 transmissions and MPEG4 HD broadcasts.

He needs to go on the the installers' course or read the powerpint presentation that is on this group!

H

4. J Roadley

J Roadley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    [​IMG]

5. ayelgee

ayelgee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a similar conversation with sky a couple of days ago. i phoned up to cancel multiroom, after which i inquired about HD and mentioned that i had seen pictures of the new box, he then went on to say that this may not be the only way to recieve sky hd and that some kind of upgrade may be available for existing sky+ boxes. But typically of sky that is a lot of maybes!

6. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    it's possible sky are planning at some point on launching a HD decoding box which you plug your coax from the dish in to then from the HD box to the Sky+ box ( or in other words it doesnt have + ability itself)....bit like you can buy those little DAB add on boxes for radio...

i guess you could then either output normal SD stuff via the usual Scart/S-video from the + box, or send it back to the HD box via USB if its a HD recording.....*shrugs* its only a HDD in the + box, so no reason it couldnt be used to just store HD...and i'm sure USB could handle HD streaming?

cant see it happening myself, but you never know.....

7. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Neither can I. I don't think customers would like the idea of two boxes sitting under the telly :rolleyes:

8. Daddy k

Daddy k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,351
    all il recomend is anyone whos out of commitment with a sky+ box dont recommit uself until the hd box is out.
    im imagining some retention offers to recommit you for another 12 months! spesh if you say your leaving to go telewest hd drive, which of course would mean you wouldnt have to again buy another fad box! they must have something lined up now theres a real other choice

9. Liquid101

Liquid101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,228
    Just had a quick chat with Sky Sales. I don't subscribe at present, and wanted to know if it was worth waiting. The guy said that HD would be "launched this month", but "you should subscribe to normal Sky now" He also said that Sky+ Functionality would be available on HD at a later date, and not from launch. I said that I would wait because I wouldn't to get one box, only to change to another in a month or so. He advised that it wouldn't require a change of box, just an extra little box to go with the standard box.

I really hope that they did 'record this conversation' because this all seems like rubbish to me, he then went on to say "I wouldn't get HD for a couple of months, because it won't work properly anyway - like the Sky Gnome"

10. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

You've got to love the CS system.
    People paid to sell a certain product which means they are also in reality being paid not to push an upcoming product since they would lose money here and now:)

11. Madkitty

Madkitty
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    good to see some people at sky really know their stuff :rotfl:

12. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    someone should phone up sky and before you get in to the convo say to them that your at work and all conversations made on your work phones are recorded and your required to mention this when calling anyone, whether its business or personal..............then ask about whether having a Sky+ box now can be added to with another little box to get HD thats both playable direct and recordable......if they say yes, then order Sky+ and then in a month when you find out it isnt you can sue them for lying because you have a recording thats valid as you told them before you had the convo....heh