Sky box to built in home network cable?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by 95012613, Aug 2, 2006.

1. 95012613

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I've just moved into a relatively new home (4 years old) which has an inbuilt data & TV network. The guy living there before me had it setup such that his sky box fed the signal back into the network via a co-ax socket/jack providing multi-room connectivity.

He took all the cables with him when he moved - I've tried a couple of co-ax cables I have lying around & have tried finding what I need in Dixons, but am a bit baffled as to exactly what I need.

The sky box has 2/3 outputs - I need to connect one of them back into a jack to feed the house network/system so that I can pickup the signal from sockets in other rooms. I'm just not sure exactly which socket to use & what cable I need.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Dave

2. vex

vex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Ok, Hold your breath, here we go.

The back of your Sky box will have 3 connections that we need to use.

The first, has a thread on it - Called an F connector, there should be a matching one on the wall and it will feed the box with ths signal from the dish.

Next there are three tv type sockets, two of one 'sex' and one of the opposite (called male and female). The one type should be for TV channels feeding into the box and the two left (of the same sex) shoudl be called RF1 and RF2. RF1 is designed to feed your local tv, vcr etc and RF2 will connect back to the wall to feed the rest of the house.

Can you identify which connections on the wall do what? as this will help if we can know what you have.

Chris

3. 95012613

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thx. for the reply Vex...

I've sorted out the 'threaded'/F-connector & am receiving a Sky signal just fine (viewing it via a scart lead into a tv next to the box).

I think what you're saying about RF2 being what I need to feed back into the wall/house sounds right - is that what I need - an RF2 (/male/female/?!) connection lead?

:)

Cheers,

Dave

4. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,787
    It's impossible for us to say whether your cable requires male or female ends at the wall socket. Do you know which socket it is? Is it clearly marked as the one you need to feed the signal back in to? Surely you can tell whether it is male or female by looking at it, or trying it with a known male end (it will either fit or not). You do know the difference between male and female... :)

5. 95012613

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lol - the penny on the male/female plug bit just dropped... very good! :suicide:

:oops:

Thanks!

(I don't have broadband at home yet, so will take a look tonight)

:thumbsup:

6. 95012613

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think i've sorted out the sky box to house connection now - it needed a male to female connection... but it looks like I need to feed this into the female 'digital' plug on my TV - does that make sense?
    (The plug on the wall is a female one, so I think I need a female to female :smashin: lead)

thx to all for your help so far!

:)

dave

7. Filbert

Filbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +195
    If the plug on your wall is female, then you will need a cable with a male plug on it!!! Cable/plugs are strictly hetrosexual! You can have a sex change..... but that is just getting silly now!