Sky box stops internet and phone working

redout

I had Sky installed about a month ago. I noticed when the installers left that they unplugged one of the sky boxes phone line. I do not know the reason why as they never informed myself that they had done this. I have two Sky boxes, one has the phoneline connected the other not. I tried to plug in the phone line that the installers unplugged and found that this stops my telephone and broadband from working. I am thinking that is the reason that they unplugged it and did not want to inform myself. I found this most unprofessional. I was told that installing dsl filters on the sky box might resolve this problem, any suggestions ? Anybody heard of this happening.

fernandez

Distinguished Member
As you have two Sky boxes and if one of these is a Multiroom subscription, both must be connected to the same telephone line at all times. If you do have Multiroom get this sorted ASAP as Sky will send warning letters and eventually charge two subscriptions.
As far as the microfilters are concerned there's a guide here as to how they should be fitted

http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/help_and_setup/microfilters.shtml

redout

Someone said to stick the filter directly into the sky boxes and then run the phone line. Do I need a filter on each phone in the house. Will this work ?

Stevenage Neil

Distinguished Member
Just put another filter into the BT socket in the multiroom and plug the Sky box into the "Tel" socket on the filter.

Neil

PS You should report your installers to Sky.

Last edited:

fernandez

Distinguished Member
Someone said to stick the filter directly into the sky boxes and then run the phone line. Do I need a filter on each phone in the house. Will this work ?

The filter goes into the ADSL enabled telephone outlet - the link I gave illustrates this

redout

Ok I put the filters on to the phoneline and it still was not working. Found out that in the end it was the phone cable running from the sky box to the phone socket was damaged. I never knew this as that line has been there for 10 years and unplugged for 9 of them. Popped in a new cable and both sky boxes and internet all working. Thanks for the input.

Just incase it helps anyone in future Sky told me that I could connect one of the boxes to a different phoneline in my house once I fax them proof that both lines are mine and for the same address.

Stevenage Neil

Distinguished Member
Found out that in the end it was the phone cable running from the sky box to the phone socket was damaged. I never knew this as that line has been there for 10 years and unplugged for 9 of them.

Doesn't make sense:
"The line running from the Sky box to the phone socket" - surely this is the cable Sky installed?
"I never knew this as that line has been there for 10 years and unplugged for 9 of them." - You have had a Sky box unplugged for 9 out of 10 years?

Neil

redout

Yes that would be the cable sky installed in 1998 and yes it has been unplugged since the initial 12 month contract finished in 1999.

pcbbc

Just incase it helps anyone in future Sky told me that I could connect one of the boxes to a different phoneline in my house once I fax them proof that both lines are mine and for the same address.
Well, that's very interesting - and particularly dumb of them I would think.
It would be all to easy to arrange for a second phone line at one premises, fax through the proof and them have it transferred to another property in the same area. :eek:

redout

If you do that then you will also have to pay a monthly phonebill ? So at the end of the day it wont really be worth doing now would it !

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom