Question Sky box ->scart-> Dvd recorder ->hdmi-> Tv?

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by ap04, Aug 7, 2018.

1. ap04

ap04
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a dvd recorder (LG DRT389H) with scart inputs and scart/hdmi outputs, and I currently have it connected to both my Sky box (in) and tv (out) via Scart. I intend to change my tv to one without Scart inputs, so I would have to connect the recorder to the tv via Hdmi.

Will the Sky picture still pass through to the tv? Will the recorder give Hdmi output even if the source was analogue? Thank you!

2. davemurgatroyd2

davemurgatroyd2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,317
    No - AFAIK no DVD recorder will convert a SCART input (analogue) to an HDMI output(digital). It is highly unusual for a TV not to have analogue inputs - composite video (AV) inputs or a "mini scart" like plus (as found on Samsungs etc)
    Yes a DVD is digital regardless of its original source. The only analogue video disk formats I know of are Laserdisc, Video Disc and two vinyl video disc formats VHD and CED

3. Warpaint

Warpaint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    It would be worth trying it. I can’t vouch for LG but older Panasonic DVD recorders with scart and HDMI outputs definitely did output from HDMI while being fed an analogue input from scart or AV. Modern Panasonic’s don’t have scart at all.
    Is it a basic sky box with only scart, or is it an HD box with scart and HDMI. If it is the latter then you could simultaneously feed HDMI to the tv, and scart to the dvd recorder from the sky box.

If your current tv has an HDMI input then you could test it out on that.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  4. davemurgatroyd2

davemurgatroyd2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,317
    There is a major difference here - we are not talking about taking an analogue input and converting it to digital for recording - every DVD recorder with HDMI output should do that. We are talking about the dvd recorderpassing through an analogue signal from SCART and converting it to a digital HDMI output in standby - that is the definition of pass through.

5. Warpaint

Warpaint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Thanks, but I am well aware of the difference.
    On the Panasonic, if the input select on the recorder is set to the AV input then the machine would internally convert the signal and output via HDMI.

It’s been several years since I have done this but it definitely did work. I’ll try and find a model number if you like.

6. davemurgatroyd2

davemurgatroyd2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,317
    No need for model numbers - all DVD recorders (that can record analogue inputs) and have HDMI output should do the same (I have Panasonic (x3), Wharfedale and Sony units that all do this) BUT only when powered up using between 25 and 50W and NOT in standby. Many stbs will do pass through on SCART inputs and outputs in standby usimg low power consumption but none will do a conversion to digital HDMI output without being powered up using considerably more power

7. Warpaint

Warpaint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Ok. You are correct.
    I was assuming it would be on if the OP was wanting to watch SKY
    Thanks