1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky Box RGB to S-Video..best solution?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by saint_ade, May 2, 2005.

1. saint_ade

saint_ade
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an Epson projector and am using the component input for DVD with progressive scan giving a fantastic picture. However, I'm not satisfied with my Sky digital box, which is connected from Scart to composite and gives a 'woolly' picture. I have a spare S-Video socket on the projector and was wondering what I need to connect the Scart out of the Sky box to the S-Video in on the projector. I'm assuming I need an RGB to S-Video converter, and then set the Sky box to RGB out. Is this right?

Also, the converter boxes I've seen advertised seem to have a Scart out as well. Do you just then use a cable with Scart at one end and S-Video at the other? Can someone please reassure me or tell me the best solution before I buy?

Thanks!

2. Wannabe-THX

Wannabe-THX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Why not just go S-Video to S-Video? The V2 Sky boxes have one on the back.

Fish

3. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    Yes ! Sky+ Boxes and certain SkyNormal Grundig boxes have 's' out too.

Mike.

P.S. Welcome to the forums :)

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    you can also get RGB> YUV (component) converters if you have another component input or have componet swicthing on AV amp see JS Technology

5. 28marcus

28marcus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hornydragon, your advices please,

I have a similar problem;-

1) NTL (Pace about to change to the new Samsung STB)
    2) SR8500 (Marantz) receiver.

I note that I will need to convert RGB to use the AV switching facility on my AV unit.

The JS Technology Component convertion solution is twice the price of the RGB to S-Video solution.

I guess I'm asking, is the RGB component solution worth the price for a cable STB or should I go for the RGB to S-Video converter?

Also the JS Tech solutions are both twice the price of similar solutions sold by Maplin, again is the outlay worthwhile?

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    what display? 22" LCD not a problem, 50" PDP or PJ then the JS are well worth the extra........the SR8500 is a bit of a beast. give me some more info and I'll see what i can do (but if saving money is game use composite)

7. 28marcus

28marcus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hornydragon

Phew, thanks for the fast response :smashin:

My display is the Panny PW6.

DVD player is the Marantz DV9500 (all champagne :cool: )

DV9500 to SR8500 IXOS Component,

SR8500 to PW6 IXOS Component,

Not making use of the DV9500 HDMi to SR8500 DVI-D due to the problems with DVI-D on the PW6, unless you can advise better.

Ultimately the Plasma will go on the wall hence I wanted to make use of the AV switching so as to cut down on cables. I was going to wire up Component cables and a HDMI for future use.

I purchased a Scart to S-Video for the NTL box and obviosly only got a black and white picture when I plugged it in. Fortunately for me searching this forum told me what was the problem, ie RGB output,

All I need to do is put in the best solution. Cost is not really an option, but no one likes spending money unnecessarily.

Thanks

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    marcus, THE JS RGB>YUV is the best option (apart from adding a scaler) i would wire at least one HDMI>HDMI Or DVi-D as that matches amp out put, cable into the wall and run 5 core analogue coax using 3 for componet and 2 spare (get you out of trouble cables)......ntl PQ is never going to set the world on fire but a JS RGB>YUV is the preffered option and compare to what you have already spent not a major cost..........(you could spend a grand on havin a scaler and goign all digital.......) also have you had or consdiered ISF calibration? see www.hoemcinemaengineering.com for more info

9. 28marcus

28marcus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hornydragon,

Thanks for that, Order processed for a JS Tech with you as a referal (hope you are on commission ;) )

Must admit I have thought about ISF calibration and will probably go down that route. I'm having a problem with the MRAC stating an ambi noise error.

Other posts suggest that fridges could be a problem! I've manually calibrated but can never get the subwoofer levels correct. Might get a sound calibration done too.

Thanks again

Marcus