• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sky Box Problems

gobezza

Standard Member
Had a Thomson box since December 2005. Recently started making a squealing noise, phoned Sky, guy from Cobra came out today, Sunday.

Impressed by the Sunday visit, but thats about it.......

Swapped the box for a Grundig thing, size of a VCR and looks really ugly.

With the Thomson box I pressed Sky button which switched on the Sky box and the TV came on Automatically something to do with a voltage being sent down the Scart lead I believe. Now the Grundig box doesn't do this, I have to switch both of them on independantly, which is really confusing my young daughter.

Anyone know how to get round this?

What I've done for the time being is re-install a 2 year old Amstrad DRX400, is this a better box than the Grundig?

The guy also said Sky would relocate the box to the other side of the lounge, get this "free of charge", but after speaking to Customer Services, it's £65..........

Any thoughts, cos i'm cheesed off

JayCee

Distinguished Member
A couple of things to try...make sure the scart lead is plugged in to the socket marked "TV Scart" and not the "VCR Scart" on the rear of the digibox...if it is in the TV Scart socket go in to the "Services", "System Setup", "Picture Settings" menu and make sure "Scart Control" is set to "ON".

gobezza

Standard Member
Checked both of those things, the "Scart Control" is on and the Scart leads are the right way round.

It must just be the Grundig box, it musn't send the voltage down the scart when switched on........

Ive reinstalled my Amstrad DRX400 and this works fine, i was concerned whether this box was better or worse, picture and sound wise, than the Grundig.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
gobezza said:
Checked both of those things, the "Scart Control" is on and the Scart leads are the right way round.

It must just be the Grundig box, it musn't send the voltage down the scart when switched on........

It should it's part of the scart specs.
Are you trying it with the same scart you've used with the Amstrad box?
Within the same menu try switching it to RGB if it's set at PAL.

gobezza

Standard Member
Everything is set the same as before with the thomson box and now with the amstrad box, same scart lead, same settings on tv, same on sky box, totally lost me as to why this grundig box doesnt emit a voltage down the lead when its switched on.

Theres a Sky bloke lives in next cul de sac, might ask him to move the box as a foreigner and ask him why this box doesnt do it

or i might just say balls to it and get sky+ with multiroom......

JayCee

Distinguished Member
gobezza said:
and the Scart leads are the right way round.

Double check this again as on some makes of digibox the TV Scart is the top-mounted socket and on other makes it's the other way around (with the TV Scart at the bottom).
Other than that the only other reason is the box is faulty and should be replaced by Sky...you shouldn't need to pay the £65.00 callout charge again.

SamRadford

Are you certain that you are using the original Thomson Sky remote?

If you are using a different one, you'll have to program it.

gobezza

Standard Member
Got it sorted, emailled James Murdoch at Sky, name i got off here, can received and email today from adele somebody, replacing box and relocating for free as a good will gesture

RESULT..........

Thanks AV Forums....

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom