Sky box phone cable

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Stereo Steve, Oct 14, 2003.

1. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I bought my Sky box (Pace 3100 Sky+) second hand and it didn't have the modem cable with it. I tried a standard modem cable from a PC modem but it made a horrible noise on the phone line and caused my ADSL to drop (yes, I have used a micro filter). So, are the cables Sky use from the extension to the box different to a standard PC modem cable and if so, where do I get one? I had one with my old Sony box but sold it with the box.

2. WeirdFish

WeirdFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    It's just a normal lead. RJ11 (like on the adsl modem) one end and nromal PSTN plug on the other (like a phone)

Just a thought, if your lead has the smaller rj11 plugs both ends you would have plugged it into the wrong part of the filter and that would cause probs.

HTH

:)

3. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    What I have is a long phone extension cable that the Sky blokes put in. It has an standard phone plug at one end and a female phone socket at the other. They then used a short lead that plugged into this and had a small modem type plug to go into the Sky box (Sony 760). I had this box for 18 months and then sold it with the short lead. Now I have ADSL on the line and have the existing extension lead with a micro filter on it. I also have a second hand Pace 3100 Sky+ box.

I tried to use a standard PCI V90 modem lead from the extension to the sky box and got a hideous noise on the line which caused my router to drop the ADSL until I unplugged it.

So, is the lead to an ADSL modem different to that to a V90 modem? maybe I should try my ADSL one tomorrow and see if the noise has gone. Either that or the Pace box is dodgy.

Hmmmmmm.

4. WeirdFish

WeirdFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    No the leads are the same.

I have seen quite a few sky boxes that cause probs with broadband even when they are filtered.

As you havent bought the sky box subsidised then leave it unplugged from the phone line.

5. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    But I want to connect it to use Box Office. Also I intend to order Sky+ and use this box as a mirror sub at some point so they will have to be hooked up.

It's not just the ADSL it's affecting, theres a loud buzz on the phone line too.

6. WeirdFish

WeirdFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Then I think you have a prob with the unit.

7. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I suggest you discuss this direct with Pace.
    <mailto: "Customer Support" customer.support@pace.co.uk>

They can supply the correct lead if you want to make absolutely sure but I think their minimum order charge is £10 so they may put you onto someone like satcure.com instead.

But it does sound as if your Digibox is faulty, in which case you'll have to ship it to the Pace factory near Bradford for repair. And it just happens that I have the address right here on this cardboard box...

Pace Micro Technology
    Victoria road
    Saltaire
    Shipley
    West Yorks
    Can't read the postcode. Looks like BD17 3LF

Fman

8. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Erm. Had a bit of a play around. Before I had the micro filter plugged into a phone extension with a fax machine plugged into that which had a splitter for an extra phone. I plugged the Sky into this and it took down the ADSL. Tried a different filter (Fujitsu) and got the same. Tried removing the fax machine and plugging the Sky straight into the phone and it worked fine. Then I plugged a phone into the Sky lead splitter and that worked fine.

So, it's when I have the fax macnine and the sky box on the line as the same time. Either is fine ir Sky plus a normal phone is fine.

Any ideas? It's not really a problem as I rarely use the fax and can plug it in when I need to send something or unplug the SKy when I'm waiting for a fax.