Sky box outputs?

james_19742000

Sorry for asking this question, I have a bog standard silver Pace Sky digibox, but where it is located it isnt easy to see what connections are on the back, can anyone tell me would it have the 'digital' outpuit on the back please, if so would it be the toslink optical digital one please??

Many thanks for your help.

James

james_19742000 said:
Sorry for asking this question, I have a bog standard silver Pace Sky digibox, but where it is located it isnt easy to see what connections are on the back, can anyone tell me would it have the 'digital' outpuit on the back please, if so would it be the toslink optical digital one please??

Many thanks for your help.

James
all i do know is only the sky+ boxes have the digi out mate

james_19742000

Ok thanks for that, I am pretty sure it does but anyone clarify at all please?

johndon

The only standard Sky boxes that have had a digital optical out were some Sony boxes (and on those DD5.1 was never enabled) - other than those, it's only the Sky+ boxes.

John

ijd

dd 5.1 is only broadcast on some movies from the sky movies 1,2 and 3 channels, all the sky plus boxes have it, and i am pretty sure the standered pace and amstrad boxes dont have it.

samjet

Banned
thinking of getting sky+

does the box offer coaxial out as i don't want optical or any other connection for audio out

also does the box offer component out?? - because i'm not using bloody scarts in any way shape or form :D

thanks

ijd

johndon said:
They definately don't.

John
thanks Johndon, i just didnt want to be so committed,
the pace boxes which are what all current sky+ boxes are, do not have component and are optical only, for sure.
so you will have too use scart and optical, so what is wrong with scart and optical,

samjet

Banned
oh dear - scart and optical :mad:

ref optical - have found that with a mid/high end av set up the coax is far better

ref scart - hate the bloody things - a total compromise - i want video and audio seperate - i do not put video through av amp/processor but direct to display as a purer signal with less un-needed processing

can probably deal with the scart problem using js convertor for scart to component but at a price :(

ijd

I wonder if there would be much benefit using component though, as the vast majority of stuff from sky, loses it quality through compression, in fact it may even look worse :eek:
interesting about the coax over optical though...
and isnt scart meant to be a better quality than s video???

samjet

Banned
ijd said:
I wonder if there would be much benefit using component though, as the vast majority of stuff from sky, loses it quality through compression, in fact it may even look worse :eek:
interesting about the coax over optical though...
and isnt scart meant to be a better quality than s video???
good question as per component - views seem to differ

coax v optical is a bit of a purist thing - each to their own - i have used both and imo a good coax wins - but it depends a lot on your front end!!

in most 'normal' setups you may hear no difference

i concur with your comments ref s vid - imo an inferior source

Nick_UK

Banned
As far as quality goes, the order (from best to worst) is :

Component
RGB (can be delivered in scart or component form)
S-Video
Composite

However, the differences between the first 3 are marginal, and component is often only quoted as being better, because component can also be progressive. However, many display devices convert progressive back to interlaced ! The differences between the first 3 are so subtle, that they can often be altered by differences in the actual design of the display inputs (i.e. on some TV's, s-video can often be better than RGB).

You can always do what I do - buy an AV amp that converts everything to component, although this is no guarantee that the pictures will look any better.

Piers

IMHO the S-video output from the Sky + is surprisingly good though the scart RGB wins by a small margin. SDI modded and the SDI output wins by a long way.

Goodish audio kit here, though not cutting edge, and to be honest I fail to detect a difference between optical and coax outputs where the choice exists.

samjet

Banned
thanks nick - good answer

i don't like putting video through an amp even at the top end - but thats a personal thing :D

Trending threads

Top Bottom