Sky Box - Optical/Toslink Issues

dimebars

Novice Member
This has probably surfaced before but I'll plod on anyway......

My samsung 2:1 surround system has 1 optical in port. I need to connect my Apple TV and my sky box to the one port, so I thought I'd buy a 3:1 TOSlink switch.

I've hooked it all up today - sky box and Apple TV in, output to the surround system.

The Apple TV feed works fine, however, no matter what configuration I use with the sky box, I get no sound.

I've tried each individual optical cable from device direct to the surround and they all work so I've ruled out duff cables. The switch works with the Apple TV so I've ruled out a duff switch.

Anyone got any ideas what the issue with the sky box may be? I've tried various sound settings on the sky menu - normal and DolbyD are the only 2 but the problem persists.

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
With the Sky box selected can you see the red light on the end of the toslink cable you connect to the surround system. If not the switch is most likely faulty.

Not clear if you get sound with the Sky box directly connected, if not it's possibly a menu setting on the Sky box (the end of the cable should glow red if there's any output). Not sure if a Sky box outputs surround on both s/pdif and hdmi at the same time.

Last edited:

dimebars

Novice Member
The cable ends all light up even doing

Sky>switch>surround

Just there's no sound. As I said, the switch works with other devices. Just not sky.

logiciel

To be 100% clear does the Sky machine work when it's connected direct to the sound system?
The audio ouput IS the same on both outputs.

Are you actually viewing a Sky channel with DD on it?

The optical output if set to Dolby D in the sound menu will only output any sound if the channel is broadcasting DD. If not on a DD program set the optical output to "normal" - do you then get any sound?

To be 100% clear does the Sky machine work when it's connected direct to the sound system?
The audio ouput IS the same on both outputs.
Not strictly true firstly there are 3 digital capable outputs (coax, optical and HDMI) - HDMI and coaxial/optical sound outputs can each be set separately to "Dolby D" OR "Normal". However both the coaxial and optical outputs are identical spec.

Last edited:

kevkbuk

Distinguished Member
Search the forum, I think this has been discussed before. I seem to remember the cable was lit, but was dimmer using the switch than direct from the Sky box. It seemed it was not sufficiently bright for the amp to decode and I think a different brand/design of switch sorted it.

dimebars

Novice Member
Sorry guys, got sidetracked for a few days

The sound works fine when connected directly from the sky box to the sound system via optical cable

I've tried swapping the sound mode on the sky box between normal and DD and neither work.

I may need to try a different switch as it appears the one I have is useless!

logiciel

What about the output from the switch - do you see it clearly, weakly, or not at all?

logiciel

OK - switches are cheap enough so try another one.

Stevenage Neil

Are you actually viewing a Sky channel with DD on it?

The optical output if set to Dolby D in the sound menu will only output any sound if the channel is broadcasting DD. If not on a DD program set the optical output to "normal" - do you then get any sound?
Further explanation please..........my system has optical set to DD and I receive audio on all channels, the amp deciding if it is 5.1 or otherwise.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies
Top Bottom