Sky Box Office Hack.

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by handsomejackuk, Jan 17, 2002.

1. handsomejackuk

handsomejackuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I visited a friend of mine that has a bt telecom box with a 9v battery stuck on the back to enable sky box office channels. for free Anybody know what is inside this box ? according to him its a really simple crossover wire inside which keeps the bt line open.

2. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,570
    Careful - if you post details of an illegal activity, I'll have to delete the thread.

3. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is a total myth. The 9v battery is complete rubbish. Once he gets up to the credit limit on the card, the box will stop working until he reconnects it to the phone. At this point, sky will be notified of all the box office films watched and he will be charged.

4. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +780
    But it is not a 'total myth', because I have seen it working. As for the 9V battery being 'complete rubbish' - this too is not true. The battery is necessary to send the voltage back to the digibox. I would agree that the system will have its limitations and that when it becomes rife that Sky will find a way round it, but in the meantime IT DOES WORK. As for the issue of the credit limit being reached - you can disable the credit limit so that it will never be reached. Alternatively, if you have a high credit limit set per month and you do not go mad with the box then again you will never lock out.

5. Staminastan2001

Staminastan2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...how's about "virtually pointless", then? As soon as you re-connect your digibox to the phoneline it'll charge you for all the films / whatever you've watched. All the battery does is make the box think it is still connected to the wall. I don't believe you can disable your credit limit, either - otherwise the method would be well known and everybody (who's naughty) would have done it, wouldn't they?!

If you only ever plan to watch £50-00 worth of stuff then it'd be worth considering, but with all those unmissable footy matches at £8-00 each you'd only be saving up all that ppv money to pay up in one lump sum, that's never a v.nice thing.

stan.

6. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ok, i dont know all that much about this but anyhow.... our skybox is never connected to the phone line....and i dont think it ever has been.....i think that we order by phoning sky or something, butr im not sure cos its not me who does it......so how does sky manage this? how is it that they can suddenly set something so that our box can receive the signal?

Ad

7. Staminastan2001

Staminastan2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Buns,

I assume you must have bought your digibox then, not got one for free when you had it installed (because then, for a year, you HAVE to have it tied to your wall and let them keep tabs on you!)

When you phone Sky they do something clever their end, in much the same way as what they do when you subscribe to Sky Sports / Movies / whatever, which "subscribes" you to the single ppv showing you fancy. Or a day pass to watch something, or similar.

It's clever stuff, but then with five and a half million people all paying up to thirty-odd quid each and every month in subscriptions, it isn't hard to work out how the company scrapes a living..!

stan.

8. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    stan....

actually, we got the box free and all....to be honest it is my parents system.....

when it was installed, the guy connected it to the phone and all to get it working, but since he wasnt willing to go under neath the floor in order to get the extension cable to the phone witthout running it over the carpet....they said it didnt matter.

admittedly, when the box is turned off accidentally, it can have difficulties, but normally it is only a matter of time.

so i presume in fact the connection to the phone line is not mandatory to the functioning of the system, once it is set up.

The whole question was sparked cos a friend of mine is getting sky installed on tuesday.....but has no landline phone.....possible or not???

ad

9. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    You should see some of douglas quaid's allegations in the "Vinnie Jones" thread.

If they aren't illegal I don't know what is and I for one will never eat lamb again.

10. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,281
    I've had Sky Digital since launch and it was only plugged into the phone line for about the first week or so.
    Not been plugged in since and never had a problem.

Although I don't use Box Office at all, it shows that the phone conenction isn't necessary for normal operation.

11. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    is it even necessary for installation?

ad

12. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,281
    No, I don't think it is. We have a special telephone system in our house so the box wasn't able to pick up a line as it normally would. We didn't realise this at the time so as far as the engineer was concerned, the box was plugged in. When it came to inserting the viewing card it wouldn't activate the account or whatever it does via telephone so the engineer had to phone through instead.

It all worked fine after the telephone call.

13. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    so the basic jist is that sky has no need for the telephone line.....except so that the box can download to sky during the night and let them know what you are watching??? Now.....personally i would consider that as spying on me! has anyone made a legal point of that?

ad

14. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +780
    The reason why you are meant to have your digibox connected to your phone line is so that your viewing habits can be monitored, as buns states. The reason you are meant to connect it is because some marketing company (whose name escapes me now) actually subsidises the cost of your box as long as you keep it connected to the phone line. This is the reason that you can get a free box and connection for £40. If they did not do this then you would have to pay the RRP of the boxes, which is around £300. As for it being legal - unsure of this, but if you check the contract that you signed for Sky, you will find that it states that you have agreed to connect it to the phone line for 1 year for marketing purposes. Personally I have no problem with this (even though I bought my own box and have never had it connected to a phone line) as I could care less if people know what I'm watching.

15. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The standard sky digibox does not do that so no one has needed to make a point of that.

The telephone line is purely for the interactive and box office purchases.

16. stuartfrith

stuartfrith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have heard of this hack and it does not work. several of my mates who have tried it have been billed. As soon as you plug your line back in, it is detected and scanned and all your veiwing habits are sent to sky via the phone line. Dont be fooled in to thinking that a multi million pound company are`nt on to it. besides you are stealing and that makes you a thief

17. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It wouldnt bother me in the slightest either.....its more the principle of it that counts. since i refuse to pay a small fortune for sky for myself....i should shut up really!

ad

18. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Except they are not.

19. stuartfrith

stuartfrith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And what make YOU so sure??

20. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +844
    I use to have mine connected up (remember conditional, as said above, 1st year) and saw it connect up late at night via phone. It's freephone No. it calls but for those who begrudge it you still pay the connection fee dependant on your providers policy!
    The service guy told me, upon installation, records what watch and that software updates are sent/received via it's modem. I think this is the case as a mate who didn't use phone connect any more had trouble with getting prog' guide and after compared software details his was out of date to mine. So he reconnected, modem dialed out and updated and now fine - disconnected again!!

21. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The updates via modem are right......but they still arent essential. If you turn the box off at the mainsit goes all screwy with no phone line.....but it does sort itself again.

ad

22. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i thought if you didn`t take them up on the offer of £40 installation ,it would cost £100.

23. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +780
    It did once cost 100 for installation, but if you wanted to buy the box outright and own it yourself from day one they have a RRP of 300+. Just try phoning a Sony Centre and asking them for the RRP of a Sony 760 digibox.

24. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +780
    It did once cost 100 for installation if you did not subscribe to Sky packages, but if you wanted to buy the box outright and own it yourself from day one they have a RRP of 300+. Just try phoning a Sony Centre and asking them for the RRP of a Sony 760 digibox.

25. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Software updates are done over via the satellite and not the modem.

26. braders95

braders95

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Listen mate,

There is a way for it to work with a 9v battery yes, i know it works and yes it is true that the box limits you to how many free movies you spend, however, there is a special reset you can perform on the box that resets the balance, anyways i don't really want to discuss how you do this trick on here but i have nothing to loose so:

Sky does know about this loophole but they also can't fix it, not for the foreseeable future anyway. Here are the steps to get your free PPV's. Enjoy!

1. Locate your phone line going into the back of the Sky box.

2. Cut through this phone line anywhere (about 3/4 length down)

3. Strip it and you will see 4 wires. Keep the black and red on one side and the green and yellow on the other.

4. Throw the other bit of the phone line that goes into the wall away or keep it if you like but you'll have no need for it.

5. Now you need one of the 9V oblong batteries (75p) and you can use one of those PP3 Battery connectors (20p).

6. Put the red and the back wires on one side of the battery and the green and yellow wires on the other

7. Hold it in place (or clip on the battery connector) then go to your box office film or whatever, pick it and put your pin it as usual, it won't charge you. If you get a "please connect telephone" message - you haven't stripped the wires enough, the battery is not connected or is dead.

8. After the screen clears you can disconnect the wires from the battery. You will never need to reconnect your phone line back to your TV. Sky updates through the satellite on your house and not through the phone line like some people think.

9. VERY IMPORTANT - Never reconnect your phone line back to your sky box or you will be charged for everything you have ordered using this method. Now every time you want to watch a PPV just repeat stages 6. 7. and 8.

27. braders95

braders95

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is rubbish that sky updates go via the phone line, My sky box modem broke ages ago on my box it was a very old box aswell but it worked fine because we never plugged the phone line in anyway.

But i could have never tryed this trick because sky came out and give us a new one, for free! and what they do is they would scan the broken box and have a look for any activity on it and they would see that you had been getting free movies so they could charge you, even possibly call the police, (Tight *******)

28. GasDad

GasDad
    Remembered (1964-2012)

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +758
    On a similar note, walk into your local store, fill your pockets with what you want and then leave. Don't go to the till or you will be charged.

:suicide: