1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky+ box not recording??

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by ilovedts, Sep 21, 2005.

1. ilovedts

ilovedts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Something weird happened tonight when I got home. I switched on Sky+ & it came up with a warning saying that there was no signal, try later. I did this & still nothing, so I unplugged the Sky+ box from the mains & replugged it back in. Turning it off sorted it out & then it was fine. It must have happened overnight, because I programmed a film to be recorded at around 1.00am & it had the message "failed" in the Sky+ planner window??

Its not the update, as I've already received it. Anyone have any clue why this happened? :mad: :confused:

2. sunderland

sunderland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    its done that to me a few times over the last few days now when i go to pause live tv the pause button comes on but it wont pause until about 10 seconds later then when you press play it wont you have to come out of it by pressing sky button

3. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,616
    My lovely , stable , never miss a beat Sky+ box is performing like a crock of :censored: ,since the last software "update" :mad:

John

4. sunderland

sunderland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    yes same here like i said the problems im having now is unreal might have to go back to normal sky here if they dont sort it

5. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    See my other post about 'another bug'.

Looks like there's also a problem with recording off of input 2 ... do a 'Services>4>6' and check your signal strength and quality. Whenever my box starts doing the live pause bug, it also starts yo-yoing on input 2 and many recordings fail for 'technical reasons'. Powering the box off/on at the mains fixes the bug for a seemingly random period of time.

Well done Sky, you've taken a great system and turned it to s**t with one of the worst 'upgrades' I've had the misfortune to experience.

Gav

6. videonasty

videonasty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    This too has happened to me, since I've had the update. :mad: Are they faulty Sky+ boxes, or is it the update?

7. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I think some of the things being reported as "bugs" are actually failing boxes. Intermittent signal strength on LNB2 is a classic symptom of a failing disk drive, and most drives start to fail after being rebooted, which is exactly what happens after a firmware upgrade.

8. MR ETOME

MR ETOME

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I have this same live pause/rewind problem since the software upgrade. Also, one or two times the box has abruptly gone into standby whilst viewing. Before the upgrade my box worked perfectly.
    Fortunately its still under warranty.

9. videonasty

videonasty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Stupid question, but is the warranty 12 month through Sky?

10. Andy.T

Andy.T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    Just to add to the throng of voices, mine too was doing this last night.

I went to pause something and the "Live Pause" icon appeared on screen but the program kept going for a few seconds then stopped (as though paused). But the green pause light on the box didn't illuminate and I couldn't un-pause it. The only way to get out was to cancel the pause and return to live telly.

I fixed it by turning the box off, unplugging it from the mains, removing the viewing card, putting the power cable back, leaving it a few mins then turning it on and re-inserting the viewing card.

All fixed just in time for Lost. :clap:

Mines a Pace v2, that was updated when the v1s were (when everyone said the v2 update would be later). Dunno if thats relevant.

11. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Yes, it is. And although Sky is a subscription service, the hardware they provide is still subject to the Sale of Goods Act.

12. videonasty

videonasty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Thanks. :smashin:

How can we prove its the box & not the update? :confused:

13. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    You don't have to. If the box isn't doing what it's supposed to do, that's Sky's problem, not yours :)

14. sunderland

sunderland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    Andy Trump i did the same as you just unpluged it and left it for a minute and all is well now but you shouldnt have to do that i hate sky but i cant live without it the gits

15. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    I have been having to completely power my Pace V2 off fior a few days now due to the fantastic new 'upgrade' :rolleyes:

Going to ring them tonight as it failed to record last night and the live pause problem was back....again :mad:

16. sunderland

sunderland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    so its not just my box

17. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    If you have a look through some of the other threads on here you will find it is a large amount of boxes doing this!

I have just asked six people who I work with who has Sky+ and they are all having the same problems too...so if this is failing units it is a hell of a coincidence !!!!! :mad:

18. Andy.T

Andy.T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    I've let Sky know via their website (they can't fix it if they're not aware).

I've given them a link to this thread too.

Not sure if they'll look at what I submitted to them (it seemed to go through ok) as I didn't have a note of my viewing card number (I put "?" in that field). Anyone at home, with access to their card number want to give it a go as well? The more the merrier really.

I used the "General Enquiry Form" at the bottom of the Tech Support Page here.

19. Stingingwasp

Stingingwasp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Im getting the live pause problem to.
    First time I ring them I was told to unplug the box, this fixed the problem for a day!
    Second time of calling I was informed to do a full system refresh, again it fixed it for a day.
    Last night when I called them I was told it was a known problem and that they were trying to find a fix, but they could'nt tell me when it was likely to be available.

20. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    It's not all failing units - but if a box is on its "last legs", the most likely time for it to fail is on boot-up. When new firmware is downloaded, the box automatically re-boots when it's finished. The poster who reported varying LNB2 signal strengths was reporting the classic symptoms of impending hard drive failure.

21. powerpow

powerpow
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Originally Posted by Nick UK

Regarding these failing units .My unit Pace pvr2 Has the signal strength problem on the lnb signal.2 as described above.I try to record a program and its a failure .It will record the program you are watching to some extent and will do a pause and then play after a short pause.If It is the hard drive thats failing and not a problem with the second LNB were do we stand with upgrading the hard drive in these machines.

22. Jules1975

Jules1975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry if this is a dim question, but why would the hard drive failing cause a variation in signal strengh?

23. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286

Yes - I'm aware that a zero signal strength on 'Input 2' is a catch-all for a failed harddrive and not necessarily indicative of any actual signal strength problems.

However, I doubt it's a hardware error for a number of reasons:

1) The box is only a month and a half old.
    2) There were absolutely no such problems before the upgrade, despite several power off/on cycles.
    3) The input is yo-yoing. A failed harddrive gives zero signal. I've never seen the yo-yo effect reported before.
    4) It's not a reboot that will tip a dodgy harddrive over the edge, it's a power cycle or a spin down/spin up cycle.

Gav

24. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    This is what you do......

Swap over the cables on the back of the box (LNB1 and LNB2). This will tell you whether the problem is in the LNB (dish) or the box. If it's the box, then the problem is either going to be in the LNB2 tuner or in the hard drive (boxes with failing hard drives show 0% on LNB2), and since it's far easier and cheaper to replace the hard drive than it is the tuner, then you should try replacing it next.

If it's a Pace box, details on replacing the drive are here Amstrad boxes are similar, but you need to be a little more careful in your choice of drive.

More discussion on hard drive replacement can be found here

If it's not the drive, or you don't feel competent, there is a company called Satcure that can supply parts for Sky boxes, and they also can direct you to a company that does box repairs.

25. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    The Sky box reports 0% strength on LNB2 when it cannot read the hard drive. However, it's not the only thing that can cause 0% strength on LNB2.

Gavan, maybe if your drive is being read intermittently, it might cause a fluctuation. If your box is that new, get onto Sky now, and ask for a warranty replacement.

26. powerpow

powerpow
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    As quoted by Gavan
    The signal on my box is yo -yoing as quoted above. This is on LNB 2 .The quality is at about 90% and never varies but the signal strength changes from about 70% to 90%. I cannot record one program while watching another but can record what I am watching at that time.(Could it be a tuner failing problem)

27. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Has either of you tried forcing another software download ?

28. powerpow

powerpow
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    As posted by Nick Uk
    No I have read in some post on another site about forcing another software download but havn't a clue regarding how .Something to do with pressing Back up on box or something like that .Nick could you please give me a run down on this procedure.Thanks for your help so far.

29. powerpow

powerpow
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    As posted by Nick UK

[B]I have found out how to force the update First Power off the box then Power on holding the back up button on the box.That will force a software update.I am now trying out the functionality of the box I will keep fingers crossed regarding any improvement Will Post Later with results[/B]

30. powerpow

powerpow
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I know its early days yet (30 mins to be precise since the forced upgrade was completed) I have just recorded a program and started to view the program whilst its still recording. I am also able to watch another program whilst the recording is going on.Since my box started the downward slide after the initiall upgrade i havnt been able to do this.The respose time on the remote is still very slow and is rather annoying to use.I have tried pause and play that works okay. I have now accessed my still recording program and that is okay. All together pleased with the functionality of the box after the forced upgrade a big improvement but as I have said EARLY DAYS.