Sky+ box no longer comes out of standby

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by tdp, Sep 10, 2005.

1. tdp

tdp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was watching tv earlier today and tried to rewind. The "rewinding" image appeared at the bottom left of the screen but wasn't moving.
    I then tried to do a live pause but that failed as well.

I then went into the sky+ planner and the box crashed (at least thats how it looked) a green line appeared on the screen which jumped across the screen.

Now the box is stuck in standby. The hard drive spins up when power is connected but not much else happens.
    The tv does flicker every 10 seconds or so like the box is trying to turn on but seems to restart.

I unpluged the box for the whole of last night and it's still doing the same thing.

If the hard drive stopped working properly, would the box still switch on?

Does anyone have any ideas?

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Turn it off, unplug the two cables coming from the dish, and let the box cool down for a couple of hours. If the box comes back on, leave it for a while, then reconnect the dish cables. If the box goes into standby after reconnecting the cables, you might have a faulty LNB or wiring. You could try forcing a software download (switch off, hold down the "backup" button on the front of the box, and apply power, keeping the button pressed until you see a message on the screen). Wait until the download has finished (takes about 10 minutes), after which the box will re-start by itself.

3. tdp

tdp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your advice!

I unplugged all the cables except the power and a minute later, it came out of standby and seemed to work properly. One of the wires going to the dish was sightly loose.

Thanks again

Daniel