Answered Sky box keeps taking over TV

timey

Standard Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is a problem with my Sky box or with the TV. I recently bought a Samsung smart TV, and I use it with a Sky+ HD 2TB box as we don't have an aerial. One of the features of the TV is that you can add external devices using a wizard on the TV which allows you to be able to use the TV's remote control with the Sky box. This can be useful, although we mostly just use the Sky remote as usual.

The problem that is happening is when we watch another input, such as Netflix or iPlayer. Whilst watching these the Sky box intermittently, and unexpectedly, switches itself on. This has the effect of switching the TV over to the Sky input (HDMI1) and we the programme we are watching is interrupted. At least with Netflix, when we go back to the programme we were watching it starts from where we left off, but on iPlayer it goes back to the start. It's very annoying anyway, and I'm not sure if it's because the TV's remote is programmed to use the Sky box, but no buttons were pressed on either remote to make this happen. I've now had to switch off the Sky box at the wall to stop this happening.

Anybody got any ideas? Thanks.

I'm not sure if this is a problem with my Sky box or with the TV. I recently bought a Samsung smart TV, and I use it with a Sky+ HD 2TB box as we don't have an aerial. One of the features of the TV is that you can add external devices using a wizard on the TV which allows you to be able to use the TV's remote control with the Sky box. This can be useful, although we mostly just use the Sky remote as usual.

The problem that is happening is when we watch another input, such as Netflix or iPlayer. Whilst watching these the Sky box intermittently, and unexpectedly, switches itself on. This has the effect of switching the TV over to the Sky input (HDMI1) and we the programme we are watching is interrupted. At least with Netflix, when we go back to the programme we were watching it starts from where we left off, but on iPlayer it goes back to the start. It's very annoying anyway, and I'm not sure if it's because the TV's remote is programmed to use the Sky box, but no buttons were pressed on either remote to make this happen. I've now had to switch off the Sky box at the wall to stop this happening.

Anybody got any ideas? Thanks.

Turn off HDMI control in your sky box settings.

I’m having the same problem. Did this work? We’re definitely not leaning on the remote so would this help? Netflix keeps switching to sky and sky often says ‘no source’. HDMI connection problem?

Got the same problem with Sky Q turning off all HDMI control does nothing to solve the problem

Got the same problem with Sky Q turning off all HDMI control does nothing to solve the problem

Not acceptable is it. How long have you had the tv? I’ve only had just over a week so will probably get a refund

Not acceptable is it. How long have you had the tv? I’ve only had just over a week so will probably get a refund

18 months and it did not do it first of all so I think a bug or “feature” got added in one of the firmware releases

18 months and it did not do it first of all so I think a bug or “feature” got added in one of the firmware releases

Not ideal. I phoned Samsung and they didn’t seem to know anything about it or how to fix. Think I’m going to swap for a Sony xe8596

Not ideal. I phoned Samsung and they didn’t seem to know anything about it or how to fix. Think I’m going to swap for a Sony xe8596

Which model of Samsung do you have again? That Sony frankly looks like a step down and android tv is basically not very good at all.

Which model of Samsung do you have again? That Sony frankly looks like a step down and android tv is basically not very good at all.

It’s the 55 mu7000. I’ve heard the Android isn’t all that but main things for me are picture quality... and no faults! How dyu think it’ll compare?

It’s the 55 mu7000. I’ve heard the Android isn’t all that but main things for me are picture quality... and no faults! How dyu think it’ll compare?

It maybe better than the MU series but android is a huge let down.

Also how long have you had the problem? Is it same model?

Had the problem on and off (getting worse now) for the last 9 to 12 months and got the 55KS7000

Had the problem on and off (getting worse now) for the last 9 to 12 months and got the 55KS7000

Strange. I’ve done searches on here but can’t see many others facing the same problem. Have you tried various things to try get rid of it?

Strange. I’ve done searches on here but can’t see many others facing the same problem. Have you tried various things to try get rid of it?

Tried turning off all kind of HDMI auto control, even another member here recommended a button combo on the remote to fix it but nothing has worked.

Just moving over the Sky icon makes it kick in but not all the time or sometimes it just kicks in when I am in another app like Netflix.

Totally frustrating and put it this way my next tv will be LG, then LG oh and then LG again!

I kind of suspect the magic remote is some how triggering sky to come on, may put it away and use the awful standard remote and see if that does it as well.

Tried turning off all kind of HDMI auto control, even another member here recommended a button combo on the remote to fix it but nothing has worked.

Just moving over the Sky icon makes it kick in but not all the time or sometimes it just kicks in when I am in another app like Netflix.

Totally frustrating and put it this way my next tv will be LG, then LG oh and then LG again!

I kind of suspect the magic remote is some how triggering sky to come on, may put it away and use the awful standard remote and see if that does it as well.

Do you get a message saying about the HDMI source at all when it switches? I can’t rememebr the exact wording on mine but i think the HDMI drops out, then when it comes back it over rides Netflix. I think that’s what’s happening. Because sometimes If I’m on sky the source can just go off at times. Weird. Samsung logged in remotely and HDMI all ok (they reset as well). Have you tried turning off sky whilst on Netflix to see if that stops it? Not ideal but just a thought. We tried that and it didn’t happen but it can go hours without happening so don’t know if it’s a good judgement or not

My only other suggestion would be to try plugging your Sky boxes indirectly via an externally powered HDMI switch to see if this helps. I had some success with that when my PVR was waking up to record causing HDMI switches...

Have you got a setting Anynet+ on the TV, on my Samsung when I unticked this it stops all communications with my Sky Q boxes fron auto switching on might be worth a look.

Have you got a setting Anynet+ on the TV, on my Samsung when I unticked this it stops all communications with my Sky Q boxes fron auto switching on might be worth a look.

I did read that online too but I can’t see this option. I have a mu7000 and can’t locate this setting. What model have you got?

MU6120 + KU6400 On both ..... General >setting> External Device Manager> Anynet+

MU6120 + KU6400 On both ..... General >setting> External Device Manager> Anynet+

Thanks. Will take a look later to see if this is on there. Not in front of tv at the mo. Scheduled to take it back tomorrow for the Sony 8596

I’ve turned it off. Will see if it helps. Do you know what this setting does exactly? My problem is so intermittent I won’t necessarily know for a while if it’s fixed or not

Hi, few more suggestions on here. Just wondered if you’d tried turning off Anynet+ over the last year or so since you’ve had this problem?

I’ve turned it off. Will see if it helps. Do you know what this setting does exactly? My problem is so intermittent I won’t necessarily know for a while if it’s fixed or not

It’s Samsung’s name for HDMI control.

Yeah it's to do with auto switching with remote control, I turned it off not knowing what it was then didn't figure out why switching SKY or BT Youview on would not switch tv on. Not saying it will cure your problem but worth ago might just stop auto switching.

This is what you need to do.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom