1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky Box in France

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Jon, Dec 20, 2004.

1. Jon

Jon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have given my mate an old sky box and satalite dish for him to hopefully receive the free channels in Normandy where he lives (French TV is doing his head in). Does anyone know if this will work? Also, does anyone know what direction and elevation the dish should be pointing to receive a signal? He only wants BBC, ITV etc so will not be getting a subscription. Thanks in advance for your help!!

Cheers

Jon

2. GGTVBD

GGTVBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    Shouldn't be a problem getting Sky in Normandy. He'll need a card for ITV, CH4 and Five though - www.freesatfromsky.co.uk - £20 one off fee.

A. Dork

3. Jon

Jon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that Arthur, much appreciated!!

Cheers

Jon

4. stiletto

stiletto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tuning it, as I have found to my cost, is best done by having the TV next to the dish and watching for the flicker that indicates it has found the satellite as u move the dish about. You can get a rough 'point' by using a compass and a protractor. If your dish is on the roof its a bit tricky, but in that case may be worth buying a 'bleeper'

BTW I dont think SKy sell £20 cards. they want the whole package bought, dish and box and all

5. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    It states in the Q & A section of the website that you can get a card for £20 if you already have the equipment.

6. macrosse

macrosse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Funnily enough I did this last weekend in Paris. Its actually very easy to tune the satellite yourself. I think the angle neede is 28.2° but check the figure on the following site, which tells you everything you need to know.
    http://www.astrosat.info/FAQs/How_to_Align_Dish/how_to_align_dish.html

Makes you wonder why anyone would pay the ridiculous inastallation charges some 'technicians' ask for.
    I can now receive the freeview channels, but I still haven't got the ITV and CH4 channels sorted out; I didn't know I needed another card until I read this thread. :thumbsup:

Cheers.

7. tony @ suffolk

tony @ suffolk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35