Sky+ box in 2nd room when Sky+HD arrives ??

TBird1

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm an existing and very happy Sky+ user and can't wait for the new Sky+HD service.

When I purchased Sky+ some time ago, I decided to use my old Sky digibox in a second room. My question is, when I get the new Sky+HD box what do you think the chances are that I (and others like me) will be able to use the redundant Sky+ box and corresponding Sky+ services in the second room ??

I am sure we'll be able to do this although how much Sky will charge is another matter (I think I'm already paying about £10 for the 2nd room std digibox. So will there be a higher fee to use Sky+ in its place do you think? (maybe there is a charge model for Sky+ in 2nd room already?)

TBird1

I recently upgraded to +160 and moved the old + box into a bedroom.

I already subscribed to multi-room in 2 bedrooms (£10) inc. the one I moved the old + box to. Therefore all 4 feeds from the quad lnb were being used.

My intention was to use 1 feed in to the old + box allowing a recording facility, albeit only on one channel.

Sky made it very difficult when I rang (since the box had to be synched to the card) and made the request.

They first sad it couldn't be done. Then said I would need a 2nd Sky+ subscription on top of multi-room for the recording facility to be made available (since they have control over that from their end). I pointed out that there was only one feed, thus very limited functionality, they eventually, reluctantly, sent the signal to allow the functionality and I didn't, don't have to pay any further subs.

Let me tell you it was a struggle which lasted 3 phone calls, the longest being 45 minutes. Use the freephone number!!!

Hi,
I have a second sky + box as my multi room box and only pay the same (£10) as i was paying when using a standard digibox.
I checked this out with sky before installing it to make sure there was no extra cost, all i had to do was put the card from the standard digibox into the 2nd sky + box and give them a ring, it was sorted in around 10 minutes with no problems.

steve1966 said:
Hi,
I have a second sky + box as my multi room box and only pay the same (£10) as i was paying when using a standard digibox.
I checked this out with sky before installing it to make sure there was no extra cost, all i had to do was put the card from the standard digibox into the 2nd sky + box and give them a ring, it was sorted in around 10 minutes with no problems.

Thanks for the feedback. Steve1966 - for the £10 for your 2nd Sky+ box did you get the full Sky+ functionility with the 2 feeds etc ?

TBird1

I run the extra cables in myself and everything works ok so far.
I have not been charged any extra i have just continued to pay the normal multi room £10.

I can confirm that I have two Sky + boxes and only pay the £10 multiroom subsciption for the second and it has full functionality.

katorik said:
I can confirm that I have two Sky + boxes and only pay the £10 multiroom subsciption for the second and it has full functionality.

Likewise here-you get all channels you have with the first box with one exception-Setanta or NASN. If you want to have these channels for your second box the greedy sods want you to pay a second sub:nono:

rasb0 said:
I recently upgraded to +160 and moved the old + box into a bedroom.
Hi rasb0,
:lease: How much did you pay for your +160.Was it straightforward to order.I only ask because i tried to order one last year,but they told me because i was already a multiroom subscriber that i could not get this box at the discounted rate(i think it was £199) but had to pay £299.I tried to order on the website also but that wouldn't work either.I have +80 box downstairs and 2 extra boxes in bedrooms,using all 4 lnb.My intention was to sub the +80for one of the b/room boxes and use with the one lnb.
Any info from anyone would be appreciated.:)

bazr said:
Hi rasb0,
:lease: How much did you pay for your +160.Was it straightforward to order.I only ask because i tried to order one last year,but they told me because i was already a multiroom subscriber that i could not get this box at the discounted rate(i think it was £199) but had to pay £299.I tried to order on the website also but that wouldn't work either.I have +80 box downstairs and 2 extra boxes in bedrooms,using all 4 lnb.My intention was to sub the +80for one of the b/room boxes and use with the one lnb.

why not just upgrade your hard drive?

bigb said:
why not just upgrade your hard drive?
Are they still about 100 squid and are they 100% successfully installed.
I read a few months ago about potential problems.

bazr said:
Are they still about 100 squid and are they 100% successfully installed.
I read a few months ago about potential problems.

I have done it with my last 2 boxes and no problems. Look out for the threads on Digital Spy-very helpful. I am no techie and I managed it quite easily:smashin:

bazr said:
Hi rasb0,

You've made me feel dead guilty!!

It didn't cost anything, it was a freebie upgrade on the "introduce a friend" promo at the backend of 2005.

Soz, I'm sure that's not what you wanted to hear!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom