• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sky+ box in 2nd room when Sky+HD arrives ??

TBird1

I'm an existing and very happy Sky+ user and can't wait for the new Sky+HD service.

When I purchased Sky+ some time ago, I decided to use my old Sky digibox in a second room. My question is, when I get the new Sky+HD box what do you think the chances are that I (and others like me) will be able to use the redundant Sky+ box and corresponding Sky+ services in the second room ??

I am sure we'll be able to do this although how much Sky will charge is another matter (I think I'm already paying about £10 for the 2nd room std digibox. So will there be a higher fee to use Sky+ in its place do you think? (maybe there is a charge model for Sky+ in 2nd room already?)

TBird1

rasb0

I recently upgraded to +160 and moved the old + box into a bedroom.

I already subscribed to multi-room in 2 bedrooms (£10) inc. the one I moved the old + box to. Therefore all 4 feeds from the quad lnb were being used.

My intention was to use 1 feed in to the old + box allowing a recording facility, albeit only on one channel.

Sky made it very difficult when I rang (since the box had to be synched to the card) and made the request.

They first sad it couldn't be done. Then said I would need a 2nd Sky+ subscription on top of multi-room for the recording facility to be made available (since they have control over that from their end). I pointed out that there was only one feed, thus very limited functionality, they eventually, reluctantly, sent the signal to allow the functionality and I didn't, don't have to pay any further subs.

Let me tell you it was a struggle which lasted 3 phone calls, the longest being 45 minutes. Use the freephone number!!!

steve1966

Hi,
I have a second sky + box as my multi room box and only pay the same (£10) as i was paying when using a standard digibox.
I checked this out with sky before installing it to make sure there was no extra cost, all i had to do was put the card from the standard digibox into the 2nd sky + box and give them a ring, it was sorted in around 10 minutes with no problems.

TBird1

steve1966 said:
Hi,
I have a second sky + box as my multi room box and only pay the same (£10) as i was paying when using a standard digibox.
I checked this out with sky before installing it to make sure there was no extra cost, all i had to do was put the card from the standard digibox into the 2nd sky + box and give them a ring, it was sorted in around 10 minutes with no problems.

Thanks for the feedback. Steve1966 - for the £10 for your 2nd Sky+ box did you get the full Sky+ functionility with the 2 feeds etc ?

TBird1

steve1966

I run the extra cables in myself and everything works ok so far.
I have not been charged any extra i have just continued to pay the normal multi room £10.

Andrew K

Banned
I can confirm that I have two Sky + boxes and only pay the £10 multiroom subsciption for the second and it has full functionality.

bigb

katorik said:
I can confirm that I have two Sky + boxes and only pay the £10 multiroom subsciption for the second and it has full functionality.

Likewise here-you get all channels you have with the first box with one exception-Setanta or NASN. If you want to have these channels for your second box the greedy sods want you to pay a second sub:nono:

bazr

Standard Member
rasb0 said:
I recently upgraded to +160 and moved the old + box into a bedroom.
Hi rasb0,
:lease: How much did you pay for your +160.Was it straightforward to order.I only ask because i tried to order one last year,but they told me because i was already a multiroom subscriber that i could not get this box at the discounted rate(i think it was £199) but had to pay £299.I tried to order on the website also but that wouldn't work either.I have +80 box downstairs and 2 extra boxes in bedrooms,using all 4 lnb.My intention was to sub the +80for one of the b/room boxes and use with the one lnb.
Any info from anyone would be appreciated.:)

bigb

bazr said:
Hi rasb0,
:lease: How much did you pay for your +160.Was it straightforward to order.I only ask because i tried to order one last year,but they told me because i was already a multiroom subscriber that i could not get this box at the discounted rate(i think it was £199) but had to pay £299.I tried to order on the website also but that wouldn't work either.I have +80 box downstairs and 2 extra boxes in bedrooms,using all 4 lnb.My intention was to sub the +80for one of the b/room boxes and use with the one lnb.

why not just upgrade your hard drive?

bigb

bazr said:
Are they still about 100 squid and are they 100% successfully installed.
I read a few months ago about potential problems.

I have done it with my last 2 boxes and no problems. Look out for the threads on Digital Spy-very helpful. I am no techie and I managed it quite easily:smashin:

rasb0

bazr said:
Hi rasb0,

You've made me feel dead guilty!!

It didn't cost anything, it was a freebie upgrade on the "introduce a friend" promo at the backend of 2005.

Soz, I'm sure that's not what you wanted to hear!

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom