• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sky + box help - going very slow!

Soulja88

Standard Member
Hi
I got a free sky + box through that recommend a friend deal. I have a plain box already upstairs just for freesat so the installer just used the same dish.
The sky + box downstairs is very slow compared to my one upstairs like for example when going through the channels it doesnt go immediatly it takes a few seconds then goes which is very very annoying. Sometimes the picture is a bit sticky and sometimes channels go off saying no signal. The box even sometimes freezes!
I have phoned up sky and they are sending an engineer down. Has anyone else had similar problems?

I was thinking of buying a sky HD box off ebay and using that instead as I have just purchased a kdl-40v3000. I have read that the standard channels will look alot better through the hd box, is that right? Is installing the hd box as simple as just plugging it in and phoning sky to link the box to my card? Also do I have to subscribe to HD channels having the HD box because I just want it to view my normal channels off.

Thank You

RMCF

Distinguished Member
How much of the Sky+ box is filled up?

I notice that as mine gets more full its does slow down quite a bit, with presses on your remote sometimes taking a few secs to be recognised - it can be a pain and I am currently about to start backing up the HDD to DVD, although this is time consuming.

I have also had the picture freeze the odd time like you, although it seemed to happen on some channels but never on others. Again I was putting this down to the HDD being 75% full (and its a 250GB) but thankfully it has stopped recently as I deleted a lot of stuff that I never got round to watching.

Or perhaps you just have a bad HDD in yours. I know this can happen as my bro' had a similar problem when his 40GB drive was only 5% full. It would freeze and break up the picture quite often, and when he put a new HDD in it was perfect.

Soulja88

Standard Member
How much of the Sky+ box is filled up?

I notice that as mine gets more full its does slow down quite a bit, with presses on your remote sometimes taking a few secs to be recognised - it can be a pain and I am currently about to start backing up the HDD to DVD, although this is time consuming.

I have also had the picture freeze the odd time like you, although it seemed to happen on some channels but never on others. Again I was putting this down to the HDD being 75% full (and its a 250GB) but thankfully it has stopped recently as I deleted a lot of stuff that I never got round to watching.

Or perhaps you just have a bad HDD in yours. I know this can happen as my bro' had a similar problem when his 40GB drive was only 5% full. It would freeze and break up the picture quite often, and when he put a new HDD in it was perfect.

Hi Thanks for the reply. My box was going slow from day one even when then hdd was 0% full, it is about 30% full now. I think I have the 160gb HDD, 80gb for own use. Any advice on what I can say to the engineer? Would it be wise to ask him to replace the box?

F

Fatwaz

turn off instand rewind to see if it improves performance.basically the HDD is always recording the channel youre watching and storing it in a cache so when you change channels the box has to get rid of the recording and start again thus giving you a slight delay especially when compared to standard sky boxs

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom