Sky box for freeview channels

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Pheedbak, Jan 20, 2004.

1. Pheedbak

Pheedbak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Been browsing around the forums for a while but this is my first post so "hello"...

ive just ordered a plasma (hitachi 42") and need to upgrade my analogue tv reception. Freeview tells me i cant get reception in my local area but i do have a sky digital dish on the house from the previous owners. My question is can i buy a sky box from ebay plug it in and receive the free channels? Will i need a card or should it just work?

Many thanks

Phil

2. mkcheznous

mkcheznous
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I would also be interested in the answer to this question.

3. mkcheznous

mkcheznous
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    After more research I think I have the answer to this.

You don't need a card except for ITV1, C4 and Channel 5.

You can buy the card via this link http://www.free2view.tv/ for £23.50 until 31st Jan 2004.

4. Pheedbak

Pheedbak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the info :)

5. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The answer is that without a card you will receive lots of "Free To Air" (FTA) programmes, including all BBC.

With a card you will receive in addition the "Free To View" (FTV) programmes which are ITV, CH4 and FIVE. Without a Sky subscription you will NOT receive some pay channels such as ITV2 (which are free from terrestrial "Freeview").

It's important that you do not confuse terrestrial "Freeview" with satellite "Free to View" or satellite "Free To Air".

6. mkcheznous

mkcheznous
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Got to admit I am a little confused now.

Which "freeview" channels are NOT viewable with a sky box, an FTA card but NO subscription other than ITV2 ?

Also begs the question Why ?

7. Shady Deal

Shady Deal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I am also confused?? I have a Sky box and am thinking about cancelling with Sky. If I do this does it mean I won't get ITV Channel 5 etc or will they all continue to work apart from ITV2?

Thanks

8. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you've got a Sky sub and cancel, Sky will let you keep your card in the hopes that you might re-subscribe in the future. So you'll still get ITV, Channel 5, etc, but none of the channels that are on the paid service. (ITV2, E4, etc)

Personally, I dropped my sub, and haven't looked back.

9. breszh

breszh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I dropped my sub over 12 months ago because I knew I could keep ITV1 amongst others and that was all I was bothered about, however, in September last year we kept getting a message on screen saying we would not be able to view ITV1. It was really annoying as when you cancelled it it reappeared after about 15 seconds.

I called Sky to ask when will the channel stop being broadcast and the person I spoke was hopeless, I'd ask when is it stopping, he'd reply "It will be stopping", couldn't get a date out of him as he didn't understand the question :rolleyes: . Up until Monday the message was still there and it makes the channel unwatchable. I bought myself a Pace Twin on Monday so have shelved the Sky box.

I shan't be getting another Sky subscription, I found I just wasn't watching £38 a month's worth of TV on it - all I ever seemed to watch was the BBC channels, ITV, C4 etc the only paid for service I watched were the Super League games and to be honest I'd rather go to the match!

10. Pheedbak

Pheedbak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if you old sky box is going in the bin id like it to experiment with the options...

ive got a freeview box on trial so ill try connecting that up to see if i can get anything like a signal ;)

Phil

11. mkcheznous

mkcheznous
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The reason I am going the Sky route is I cannot get Freeview (despite all the BBC adverts) in my area and there is absolutely NO information about when I will be able to, which I find a crazy situation as they must know. They do plan don't they or am I being simple.

I must say I am gobsmacked that ITV2 is not free on sky when it is on Freeview. Don't they want the advertising revenue ?

12. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

In time the DTT coverage will be virtually identical to the current analogue coverage, it will never be 100% though.

ITV2 only went onto digital satellite after SKY did a deal with ITV worth around £3million pound, to justify spending that money SKY(Maybe in direct co-operation with ITV) put the channel into a subscription package. At the time ITV were still planning a glorious future with ON/ITV Digital and viewed SKY as a direct competitor, if it was upto ITV they would not be on Dsat at all.
    ITV1 only went on Dsat because they were being pressured by their clients (The advertisers) who were seeing Dsat viewers not switching SKY off and going to analogue to watch one TV channel while CH4 and Five were benifiting from choosing to be on SKY D from launch.
    ITV2 is currently accessible by every subscriber with the family package and that must be nealy 7million subscribers, consider that only around 600,000 (ish) are using FTV cards then there is no great advertising rewards to reap by going FTV and increasing your potential audience by only 10%.

The current ITV contract with SKY ends this summer, ITV might renew or maybe even go FTA like the BBC, it is entirely upto them.

13. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Can you clarify the question:)

As for why some channels that are on FREEVIEW (DTT) but are part of a subscription package on SKY is easy, MONEY.
    SKY pay those channels a certain amount of money taken from the subscription revenue they get which simply put is more than they can make from being FTA and relying on advertising alone.

14. mkcheznous

mkcheznous
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    10 % is actually quite a high percentage. Whether that percentage increases over time I don't know, but certainly the actual number of people will as those unhappy with the subscription service drop out to FTV. It is also an increasing percentage of the shribking ITV audience as the terrestial figures have dropped steadliy ove the last 20 years.