Sky Box Dropoff

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by mjwhitehouse, May 25, 2001.

1. mjwhitehouse

mjwhitehouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In recent days, probably since the progra,mme planner upgrade, my Amstrad digibox has a tendency to switch itself off whilst I am channel surfing. Sometimes it does it just changing channel. Has anybody else had this problem or have I got a box that has gone dodgy after 18 months. If so what is the routine for replacing a free digibox? :(

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

My panasonic box has started doing that in the last couple of days. It seems to be more than just turning itself off as I have to press the sky button on the remote control first before I can turn it on, at which point it then reverts to the SKY information channel instead of the channel I was watching.

I have noticed that it is now running new software, maybe its a bug in the new operating system.

James

3. mjwhitehouse

mjwhitehouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Exactly !!!

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I doubt very much if Sky will replace your box. Unlike On Digital where their box is just loaned to you whilst you subscribe, basically you have bought the Sky Digibox for nothing and just paid for installation. Thus it is yours and if Sky can sort out the software glich they will not replace it.

5. mjwhitehouse

mjwhitehouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just shows how much attention I paid to it, I don't have an Amstrad anyway, it is in fact a Panasonic.

6. Ars longa, vita brevis

Ars longa, vita brevis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i've noticed it crashes a lot more since the personal planner was added, i've got a panasonic box.

sky will replace your box if it is defective, but hopefully they will just update the firmware to sort it out.

7. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i ahve a pace box and mine has started to freez up when i use the search and scan banner to see whats on .
    when changing channels it has startyed to freeze completely and left on the blue screen so i need to unplug the box
    the channel name on the banner somtimes disapeares and most of the time the info button just says synopsis unavalabel so on the channel but works fine in the tv guide .
    these problems only started after i got the new software

plus i thought i would try the planner . i set it to turn over to hottel paradiso on thursday at the start of the week so i would not forget . instead of turning over at 10 on thursday it turned over ot 4 on wednesday it left it saying it would turn over on thurs in the planer but did'nt when it was suposed to .

so i am not very impressed with all the extra problems for somthing that dos'nt seem to work anyway

8. davewc

davewc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got the upgraded software on my Panasonic box (by forcing it, about three weeks ago) and it works fine. I'm only telling you this 'cos its obviously not a universal problem with the latest software. Contact Sky. Thats always good for a few hours on hold. :rolleyes:

9. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ha ha ha

good one man . the contact sky joke . you crack me up you realy do

10. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Emailed Sky about this problem, I'll let you know the outcome if they reply.

11. Juzminator

Juzminator
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    What's their email address for techie stuff?

I think I'll try emailing 'em about the lack of a personal planner ;)

12. celticprince

celticprince

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got very similar problems with my Amstrad Digibox since the personal planner software. I contacted technical services twice. The first time I spoke to Elizabeth who talked me through a forced download. Still freezing and turning off. I was told that "the new software can highlight problems already in the digibox"?? Secondly, spoke with Carol, who told me that the software "cannot" cause the problems that I was describing, and that if I wanted an engineer to call it would cost £50. She said it sounded like a "problem with either your dish, or cabling". I spoke with an Eileen Cunningham,supervisor, who advised me that this problem was a "coincidence", and that the"new software could not cause any problems". She added that this was the official Sky response. She also offered me an engineer for £50. I told her of the other "coincidences" that I had read about on the web, to which she replied "people can say anything on the web". She added, that to her knowledge, there had been "no problems with the new software affecting people's digiboxes". She said that I could take it further in writing, and gave me a Customer Care number in Scotland. So there we have it, we are all making it up. Does anyone know of another 'official line', or how to take this further, or a worthwhile E-mail address. Thanks, Chris. :mad:

13. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Spoke to someone at Sky Tech last night they said they have had some problems since the planner went live and they will be doing a further update in a day or two.

Here are the contact details but I wouldn't bother emailing them as it took 4 days for a reply and then it was just a formatted one.

Contact Technical Services Helpline on
    Tel No 08702 435000 or at the following address:

[email protected]