Sky+ box doing wierd stuff ??

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by JIMMER15, Feb 13, 2009.

1. JIMMER15

JIMMER15
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All, please bear with me, we have a Thomson Sky+ box now 18 months old that has worked perfectly untill the other night !! Went to bed, got up in the morning and the box was in standby as usual after being left on over night. Tried to switch it on and nothing, so unplugged the power lead left for a minute then reconnected the power and waited...... eventually the box came back on and we thought we were in business again but after a few channel changes the box freezes on the channel your watching (you can still watch it) but it leaves the blue banner at the bottom of the screen frozen there and you can then not do a thing with the box its totally stuck on the channel your on !!!! Repeatedly tried the disconnect and repower with and without the sky card in and it does the same thing every time !! ok for a few minutes then freezes up....any ideas folks as we already miss it which is so sad !!!!
    Or would I be better off buying a new box, from where ??? Any good deals from independant retailers on sky+ boxes ???
    Many thanks
    Jimmer

2. gilchrij

gilchrij
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Call Sky's technical support team. They had a software update the other night which has screwed loads of boxes including mine. Spoke to sky this morning and they are sending out an engineer this weekend free of charge as their update caused the issue (My box is about 4 years old).

Some people though have managed to sort this issue themselves by forcing the box to download the software update again. To do this unplug Sky box,and hold down the Back-up button on the box (Not the remote) whilst you plug it back in.

Keep the back-up button held in until the lights on the box come on and then release the button. This will force the box to download the update again and takes about 10 mins.

I tried this a few times but it didn't solve my problems. Good luck

Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  3. JIMMER15

JIMMER15
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for reply, I actually have never had my box connected to the phone line as I was told the downloads cause problems so my box was not connected to the phone line when the problems started ..????

4. gilchrij

gilchrij
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    As far as i was aware downloads come via the satelite feed. Could be wrong though.

5. JIMMER15

JIMMER15
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That might explain the problem. Have done a reset now that lost all the recordings but the set is working at the mo so fingers crossed !!!

6. pdiddy76

pdiddy76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    The Downloads only come through the satellite so you are correct :thumbsup: