Sky Box Crackle and Crash Problem

A

Akeldama

I got Sky reinstalled yesterday, first time we've had it since we moved to this flat. Anyway, Sky gave us a new digibox, a very smart looking Pace model.

But we've been experiencing an odd problem it.

Every so often the sound will start crackling but there's no problem with the picture at all. When this happens the box will stop responding to input from the remote. And oddly the blue lit "Sky" text on the front of the box tends to flicker in time with the sound crackle.

Anyone got an idea why this is happening and what we can do to stop it? So far we've had to unplug the box then power it up again to stop this happening.

Thanks in advance

SamRadford

Novice Member
My guess is that the Pace box is faulty. Get it replaced before the smoke escapes!

craigwright

Standard Member
I got Sky installed at the beginning of November, and on the first night of viewing, the exact same happened to me - the same crackling sound and flickering of the 'Sky' logo, and also the remote wouldn't operate (only the 'tv' functions would work, no 'Sky' functions). The problem corrected itself before I could get a chance to look at it, but re-occured the next night.

I contacted Sky, and they seemed to recognise the problem as a SCART fault. Luckily I had a spare brand-new SCART cable. I powered-down the system and replaced the SCART between the Sky box and the TV, and it's been fine ever since.

A

Akeldama

I've tried a couple of different cables and got the same problem. Perhaps it's my scart splitter box. Perhaps I should try to bypass that.

The odd thing is it only seems to happen during the afternoon. The evening is find. So I was wondering if there's some environment issue in the area, there are a lot of phone masts on buildings nearby.

F

FalkirkBairn

This problem sounds familiar!

As our integrated TV failed (7 days ago) we had to buy a Sky box (Pace model) along with out TV and we had the same problem: crackling sound on TV shows, unaffected picture and the luminous "Sky" logo seemed to flicker in time to the audio crackles. And it seemed to happen more in the afternoon than at any other time. We've had a couple of instances where there is no response to inputs from the remote.

All the cabling that we used came from the old setup that worked well. We refixed all the cabling but used another plug on the wall as the power source.

We've not had a problem now for 2-3 days.

A

Akeldama

Thanks for the reply.

Odd isn't it that this should happen in the afternoon? The box has been fine these evening, not a problem at all. But I bet it goes a bit strange again tomorrow afternoon.

We actually moved our lounge around today and have the TV and realted paraphenalia now attached to a different socket, but we still had the problem this afternoon.

I may replace the power chord and see if that makes a difference.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
I may replace the power chord and see if that makes a difference.
Replacing the power cord won't make a difference and if it was faulty would not give you those symptoms...I can assure you if the power lead was faulty there would be an arcing/sparking noise from its socket and the picture would most definitely be affected.

A

Akeldama

Day three and the odd behaviour continues. The box is fine for most of the day. Now around this time it shows this problem. And I've no doubt by 5pm today it will behaving itself again. This is very odd.

A

Akeldama

Well it's continued to do this over the last couple of days. The box goes a bit mental between 3pm and 5pm but works absolutely fine for the rest of the day.

Clearly there's something going on around here that is causing this problem. Though thankfully something that doesn't affect my viewing as I'm too busy working in another room to watch TV.

My pregnant wife is having her diet of daytime rubbish affected though. :)